dramatech

Parkour Issue

Greetings,

I know I am new to all this but I suck at parkour and so does many other people. I would like to  suggest limiting parkour or making a way for people to pay to go past the parkour to complete quests. It is really frustrating to try and have fun when you can't do parkour and that is what some of the quests are based on. Furthermore, It is frustrating that you have to do that to make money so if you can't then your limited to fishing or trying to complete other quests. Please seriously consider this as I am sure I am not the only that has these feelings about parkour.

Thank you for time,

Dramatech

I agree. I completely suck at parkour. There are some quests, the mine where you have to get to people underground and the only way to get there is to parkour. Please help a sista out.:(

8 hours ago, alkiholl said:

I agree. I completely suck at parkour. There are some quests, the mine where you have to get to people underground and the only way to get there is to parkour. Please help a sista out.:(

That parkour, before Stoneholm, is 4 jumps. It is a very easy parkour to do, and you only have to succeed once, really, since there is the Emerald block you can teleport to after.

As for ways of making money, there are actually very few quests that require parkour (you might be referencing to achievements, which I agree are in a good part parkour based). You can complete a very good amount of quests without having to do a single parkour.

As a moral, yes parkour is hard, but it is not a reason to make it easy. Many people here like a challenge, and that's what there are for. I suck at parkour too, believe me, so you know what my secret is? I don't do them, simple as that. How do I make money? I first started with fishing, yeah it is boring, but you get a decent amount of money passed level 10.

I am also now at level 5 in the quests, and it allows me to do some repeatable quests at Ericsburg for a stable income of quids.

Now for a personal touch, I disagree with what you are proposing. I don't think the parkours should be skippable, as they are (most of them) already totally optional for you to complete. I don't like doing them? I don't do them, simple as that.

• Like 7

The thing is with parkour is that there's so much of it because it's simple to make. you simply through down a handful of blocks of differing type, check each individual jump is possible, and the jobs done. It can be assembled on it's own in about half hour, and requires little building skill or obscure knowledge to do so.

The big problem with this server's Parkour, in my opinion though, is that it's obsessed with making the most bastardly hard parkour possible. Jumping off ice blocks, into fence posts, then onto a ladder and off to an iron bars over lava. There's a lot of parkour challenges where each individual jump is a challenge of itself, yet you're expect to perform twenty in a row for a measly £25.

They're not all like that of course. One of my favourites I've found so far is the bridge pillar in Walrus Bone Bay. It's not a bastard parkour, you're just using the deformities in the bridge pillar to climb to the top. There's no random floating blocks, no insane drops, no narrow ledges. The challenge is simply knowing where to jump from and to, to climb the pillar, and it doesn't feel too aggravating, because failure on jump 7 puts you back to jump 5 or 6, not jump 1 like many of the "floating block" parkour challenges.

But, as I said, other challenges are a lot more difficult to create. It's all well and good saying "I'd like a puzzle where you have to step on a series of pressure pads in order" but not only does that take longer to construct, and requires someone to build it using knowledge of redstone to construct all the various circuits required to make it work (Spoiler: It's not as easy as it sounds), as well as extra effort to A) hide the redstone, B) decorate the area and C) ensure the puzzle resets (without using command blocks to boot).

Redstone in server maps is a pain in the ass at the best of times. Those insanely clever things you see people doing with redstone on Youtube can cause massive lag on a server (and as someone with shit internet speeds, plz no lag). Furthermore, many of those clever contraptions are parts of adventure maps where each person playing would download the map and reload a fresh download if they wanted to play it again. They don't have to worry about the end state of the redstone. But when you're designing for a multiplayer server, the map needs to be reset every single time, and without world edit to paste it in again new. Which means you need to design every part of the puzzle to be temporary, or to have a reset mechanism that the players don't notice. I personally like to use iron doors, so that players think they're opening the door, they're also reseting the redstone to the puzzle they're about to do.

The server does have a few puzzles like this, there's a code guessing puzzle in one of the towns, a water flow puzzle in another, and an entire dungeon exists near the nothern-most town full of puzzles to be done co-operatively. But for the most part it lacks because these sort of puzzles take time to make. Compared to the half hour to make a parkour puzzle, making a redstone puzzle can take hours, if not days, and requires significantly more testing. I know, because I made the earlier mentioned co-op dungeon, and it took the better part of two months to build the core puzzles, test and decorate.

Now I concede that I made that alone, and may have gone overboard with the sheer amount of puzzles, and scaled back, and made with a small team it could've been done much quicker, but the point still stands, these sort of puzzles take a lot of time to make, and can't just be slapped together quickly. With that said though, if you have ideas for puzzles or dungeons, and want to try and make them in creative, go for it. Penerbang pays handsomely for accepted submissions to the adventure world, and if you can come up with a clever, easy to implement puzzle that doesn't even need redstone, but hasn't been done yet, make it and show the mods so they can try to implement it.

• Like 1

My particular parkour problem is the mine. In order to reach those npc's you have to parkour over a bottomless pit, in which you fall out of the world. I simply don't have the skill or dexterity to make these jumps and believe me I have tried. Also just to reach this parkour nightmare you have to haul ass through the mobs, with no armour or weapon because the chances of dying and losing it all is high. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2016 at 09:39, Snaptraks said:

That parkour, before Stoneholm, is 4 jumps. It is a very easy parkour to do, and you only have to succeed once, really, since there is the Emerald block you can teleport to after.

As for ways of making money, there are actually very few quests that require parkour (you might be referencing to achievements, which I agree are in a good part parkour based). You can complete a very good amount of quests without having to do a single parkour.

As a moral, yes parkour is hard, but it is not a reason to make it easy. Many people here like a challenge, and that's what there are for. I suck at parkour too, believe me, so you know what my secret is? I don't do them, simple as that. How do I make money? I first started with fishing, yeah it is boring, but you get a decent amount of money passed level 10.

I am also now at level 5 in the quests, and it allows me to do some repeatable quests at Ericsburg for a stable income of quids.

Now for a personal touch, I disagree with what you are proposing. I don't think the parkours should be skippable, as they are (most of them) already totally optional for you to complete. I don't like doing them? I don't do them, simple as that.

Easy for you maybe. It's not about the money, it's about finishing quests. We just want an option to let us pay to skip what we have tried and failed to do repeatedly. I personally have tried to do the parkour at the mine numerous time on different days and continue to fail. My frustration only increases. I don't do the parkour unless I want to but the mine quest forces you do jump across in order to get to the npc's. I could care less about earning the money but I would like to continue to work through the quests. I don't want to get to the point where I give up completely because I just don't have the skill or dexterity to get past this quest. If not a pay to skip, I would be happy with an alternative (non-parkour) way to get to the npc's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alkiholl said:

Easy for you maybe. It's not about the money, it's about finishing quests. We just want an option to let us pay to skip what we have tried and failed to do repeatedly. I personally have tried to do the parkour at the mine numerous time on different days and continue to fail. My frustration only increases. I don't do the parkour unless I want to but the mine quest forces you do jump across in order to get to the npc's. I could care less about earning the money but I would like to continue to work through the quests. I don't want to get to the point where I give up completely because I just don't have the skill or dexterity to get past this quest. If not a pay to skip, I would be happy with an alternative (non-parkour) way to get to the npc's.

I am sorry if this will sound arrogant, but I still disagree with your point. If there is indeed a way to skip jumping puzzles, it completely ruins the point of it. As I told before, if you stop having fun with something then simply drop it. We are on a Minecraft server, a game where this is purely for fun.

1 hour ago, alkiholl said:

It's four fairly easy jumps that you only have to go through once (there is a place achieve at the other side) and if you are worried you can go to the command shop to deposit your valuables in an enderchest for 10 quid before attempting the parkour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alkiholl said:

my tip for this one is to repeatedly corpse run it. dump all your shit in an ender chest apart from 4 steak/pork/pumpkin pie, fucking leg it down to the parkour and give it an attempt, repeat until you're sick of minecraft or you get across

I mean, I don't entirely see why one should be allowed to just pay to get the achievement (as you said, it's not about the money). Isn't the point of the achievement to make it feel like an achievement?

3 hours ago, BetaDude40 said:

I mean, I don't entirely see why one should be allowed to just pay to get the achievement (as you said, it's not about the money). Isn't the point of the achievement to make it feel like an achievement?

I actually see the point here. He doesn't want the achievment for doing the parkour, he wants the access to the areas which you can otherwise only get to by doing the parkour, and the subsequent teleports that allows. access to the areas past the parkour.

Essentially, what's wanted here is a way to skip that one challenge, but be able to do the challenges that come after that particular challenge. In essence, the way things are set up right now, access to the people in their mine and their quests are the reward for beating the parkour, and they want a way to still get to that, without needing the parkour. It's not about the achievement for the parkour at all, it's about making progress in quests that can't currently be done without doing that parkour.

• Like 1

Its 4 jumps with a place achievement either side that you can teleport to once acquired. Its not like you have to do a lot of work to get to the parkour either. I don't see why this is an issue.

The problem here is that the jumps are designed to be on the easier side for the majority of players (think of 'parkour ability' ike a distribution curve), which is great/fine or the majority of players, but there will always be people who, as akiholl says, don't quite have the skill or dexterity.

The good thing is that with time and practise, one can move up this distribution curve and make the jumps. For these people the reward for completion is greatest.

Akilholl my friend, if you ever catch me online I will try my best to walk you through the jump at the bottom of the mine so hopefully it will be a barrier no longer. :)

• Like 4

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I just made an account and I'm on fire...

I'm with alkiholl. Not to sound melodramatic, but the only time I've ever rage quit Minecraft is trying to get into Stoneholm. And I haven't even gotten as far as this bottomless pit of which others write. I understand that if one is terrible at parkour and if the puzzles are detracting from one's play experience, the obvious choice is to just not do them. 

However, the world was built to explore, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't progress in Adventure without access to the NPC's in Stoneholm, and I would like to appreciate the fruit of the builders' labor. It's not about the reward for me, I just want to do quests, and wish that parkour challenges weren't a barrier to that.

6 hours ago, ratbite said:

However, the world was built to explore, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't progress in Adventure without access to the NPC's in Stoneholm, and I would like to appreciate the fruit of the builders' labor. It's not about the reward for me, I just want to do quests, and wish that parkour challenges weren't a barrier to that.

As far as I am aware, only chained quests that include NPC's at Stoneholm would be effected if you cannot get there, as far as quest level progression is concerned it shouldn't stop your progress. :)

• Like 1