Sign in to follow this  
yakuza120

A daily reward

Before you all break this down: this is just an idea, anything is subject to change

So my idea:

A daily reward, for every consecutive day you log in to the server and play for at least 30 minutes you get an increasing award.

here are some ideas:

on day 1 you get 5 quid;

day 2 gives 10 quid;

day 3 gives 10 quid and 5 iron ingots;

day 4 gives 20 quid and 5 gold ingots;

day 5 gives 50 quid and 7 iron ingots;

day 6 gives 50 quid, 7 iron ingots, 3 gold ingots;

day 7 gives 50 quid, 3 diamonds;

day 8 gives 80 quid, 7 iron, 4 exp bottles;

and so on for like 14 days, after day 14 (so day 15, 16, ...) you get 250 quid + a random item from a set list of items

some examples for the random items:

nether star (0,5%)

Stack of packed ice (8%)

5 diamonds (3%)

Diamond Horse armor (2%)

Golden Horse armor (5%)

Horse spawn egg (6%)

Stack of chisseled stone (15%)

Stack of stone (15%)

... (so far adds up to 54,5%)

on day 30 you get 2 items from the list (only on day 30 and multiples of it, so also on day 60, 90... , on days between you still only get 1 item)

I hope you like the idea, of course a lot can be changed.

Grtzz

I'm not going to shut anything down but I will come at you with some logic. Whilst something like this would be cool, it would need to be coded. Unless you can code, I don't see this being possible I'm afraid. 

Hmmm, you'd need to interrogate the player logs for the server (which would be somewhere). You can get addons that might do this but support for a lot of these has evaporated since Mr Microsoft booked on in and dropped a truck load of cash on the man in the floppy hat......

As Pen says if you can code it (this is beyond my level of "if" statements to put together) do so.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/server-support/server-administration/1923720-how-to-check-my-server-logs

So you'd need to take the text file and on the fly check the dates and times of each user, work out how long they had been on for, then apply the name to specific commands that would reward that character in game. That's if the text file is in a format where this data can be grabbed. My java ain't that good. :D

If someone were to build something like this you would start off with something very simple (were you on today? Congratulations! At midnight you get a plank!) then build from there. That said the more checks you have the more can go wrong. Then when it inevitably breaks people will want their "free s**t" backdated also the "it's not good enough" e-mails etc etc etc.

Still nice idea and a good entry level java project for someone wishing to get into programming.

My problem with anything time based as a reward is that it can be abused.

The AFK kick can only do so much as it can still be exploited to keep you on the server. Because of this I feel it won't be the best way to reward players based on play time.

I'm happy to code stuff for this community if needed, but not when it could be abused without a solution to that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, yakuza120 said:

Alright, well thanks for the response, I myself can't code anything useful.

I didn't really think through the part about abuse.

Don't sweat it! I love suggestions and feedback! Just so you know, play time is already logged (you can do /ontime on the server) so getting the data and converting it is easy, it's just the possibility for people to abuse it to get rewards that we'd have to out weigh the pros and the cons for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, danjono said:

Don't sweat it! I love suggestions and feedback! Just so you know, play time is already logged (you can do /ontime on the server) so getting the data and converting it is easy, it's just the possibility for people to abuse it to get rewards that we'd have to out weigh the pros and the cons for.

What if there was a button you have to push that will activate a program (if that's even possible to write) that checks how long you've been online that day and how many days in a row.

In order to reach the button you have to do a small, simple jump/parkours. Once the reward is handed you cannot get anything from it anymore, and after pressing you're teleported back to spawn.

(I'm just trying to adjust the idea to minimalize, perhaps even exclude, abuse)

2 minutes ago, yakuza120 said:

What if there was a button you have to push that will activate a program (if that's even possible to write) that checks how long you've been online that day and how many days in a row.

In order to reach the button you have to do a small, simple jump/parkours. Once the reward is handed you cannot get anything from it anymore, and after pressing you're teleported back to spawn.

(I'm just trying to adjust the idea to minimalize, perhaps even exclude, abuse)

This doesn't solve the problem with someone getting around the AFK system to manipulate how long they've played for :/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danjono said:

My problem with anything time based as a reward is that it can be abused.

You could make it so that the player would have to go to a certain location (something along the lines of reward room) where they speak to a certain NPC who then records their time of talking and logs it.

No need for a timed thing, since that can be worked around.

And, 24 hours after talking to that NPC, they can go to it again for Day 2. (Something like the Daily NPCs on the 1.7 server, where the 24 hour time is either based on the time where the server is located, or the time from the point where you spoke to the NPC)

Granted, I don't think either of these options are simple to do, but they seem interesting maybe?

5 minutes ago, Zeemo said:

You could make it so that the player would have to go to a certain location (something along the lines of reward room) where they speak to a certain NPC who then records their time of talking and logs it.

No need for a timed thing, since that can be worked around.

And, 24 hours after talking to that NPC, they can go to it again for Day 2. (Something like the Daily NPCs on the 1.7 server, where the 24 hour time is either based on the time where the server is located, or the time from the point where you spoke to the NPC)

Granted, I don't think either of these options are simple to do, but they seem interesting maybe?

That's kind of what i meant with the button, but i guess it doesn't matter whether it's a button or an npc...

But the thing is, with waiting exactly 24 hours between is that after a while you will have to skip a day, unless you play exactly the same times of the day.

Perhaps instead of an hour thing you can press/talk once per day. If that makes it too hard you could use 22 hours (technically it's possible to press twice a day in this case i know), but you'd have a 2 hour window so you don't have to skip a day every so often

1 hour ago, yakuza120 said:

That's kind of what i meant with the button, but i guess it doesn't matter whether it's a button or an npc...

But the thing is, with waiting exactly 24 hours between is that after a while you will have to skip a day, unless you play exactly the same times of the day.

Perhaps instead of an hour thing you can press/talk once per day. If that makes it too hard you could use 22 hours (technically it's possible to press twice a day in this case i know), but you'd have a 2 hour window so you don't have to skip a day every so often

These are both good suggestions but it has its flaws too. You could login for a second, click the NPC/button, logout, rejoin in ~24 hours, repeat.

You would have to be dedicated to just do this but it also doesn't see the difference between someone playing for 5 minutes and someone who played for 5 hours on that day.

A daily NPC for a random reward is a nice suggestion though but this would be another plugin for something minor. We'd rather keep plugins to the essentials to save on resources to keep the Minecraft Servers running as smoothly as possible so for something to have such a little reward AND for the potential for it to be abused, it makes it difficult for me to see the benefit of it for the server or for me to code.

I hope that helps give you a better insight of my thought process.

• Like 1

+1 for idea 

- 0.5 for problem

what about an hourly reward or something? like every hour the server picks someone random to get £10 or something??

11 hours ago, Ellie00001 said:

+1 for idea 

- 0.5 for problem

what about an hourly reward or something? like every hour the server picks someone random to get £10 or something??

Like the hourly interest?

6 minutes ago, Ellie00001 said:

what hourly interest ??

On the previous server there was hourly interest where you'd get up to 10 quid and whoever got the lowest got an interest fish

Just now, Bex said:

On the previous server there was hourly interest where you'd get up to 10 quid and whoever got the lowest got an interest fish

oh yeah I remember that one, I was thinking he meant a new one because I hadn't noticed it D:

I'm kind of assuming once donations are up and running, there will be the occasional server gift to brighten your day. I'm also of the opinion that passive rewards, other than gifts, should be kept small, at least compared to active ones: achievements, fishing and such.

Increasing rewards are already part of doing serial achievements, if I understand correctly. Perhaps you'd just like to see more of those, Yak? Or an achievement chain where you could only complete and/or repeat one step per day.

Edited by Merkyur
another idea

23 hours ago, Merkyur said:

I'm kind of assuming once donations are up and running, there will be the occasional server gift to brighten your day. I'm also of the opinion that passive rewards, other than gifts, should be kept small, at least compared to active ones: achievements, fishing and such.

Increasing rewards are already part of doing serial achievements, if I understand correctly. Perhaps you'd just like to see more of those, Yak? Or an achievement chain where you could only complete and/or repeat one step per day.

Most of the time i like fishing, building/mining in survival, or creating stuff in creative.

So I don't spend much time gathering money through achievements and quests.

so basically fishing is my only way of generating money, of course i can chose to do achievement, but my parkour skills are so limited that i won't get very far. Also the adventure world is a pretty dangerous place outside cities. 

I can imagine there are people amongst us that don't like to run around adventure getting killed every time it gets night, or everytime they do one little missjump, but don't like to fish either. So I believe their should be a way for them too to make money (yes there's shops, but they're limited too). And of course, those who do achievements, go fishing or can upkeep a shop, they deserve the money they earn.

On 26 November 2015 at 01:02, yakuza120 said:

Most of the time i like fishing, building/mining in survival, or creating stuff in creative.

So I don't spend much time gathering money through achievements and quests.

so basically fishing is my only way of generating money, of course i can chose to do achievement, but my parkour skills are so limited that i won't get very far. Also the adventure world is a pretty dangerous place outside cities.

I can imagine there are people amongst us that don't like to run around adventure getting killed every time it gets night, or everytime they do one little missjump, but don't like to fish either. So I believe their should be a way for them too to make money (yes there's shops, but they're limited too). And of course, those who do achievements, go fishing or can upkeep a shop, they deserve the money they earn.

I agree with yakuza, I used to really enjoy the mining and farming challenge NPC's seen as I spend most of my time on the server doing these things.  Even the hourly interest was great, I could just continue my building or mining or just regular gameplay and gain money to use for materials or lands without having to worry about completing the adventure quests or having to spend tons of time fishing.

So either something small and passive like the hourly interest, or more quests that are easily accessible that rely on regular gameplay would be great! (especially with the mining, farming and mob killing quests, its harder for it to be abused because an action still has to be carried out)

5 hours ago, Penerbang said:

More quests? Have you already completed the 400+ that are on the server?

No, but are there any quests similar to the ones I was talking about that are easily accessible?

13 minutes ago, Mhardman said:

No, but are there any quests similar to the ones I was talking about that are easily accessible?

Yes, go look in Ericsburg's market place, there are plenty of repeatable quests at a good level range!

• Like 2

Just now, Snaptraks said:

Yes, go look in Ericsburg's market place, there are plenty of repeatable quests at a good level range!

Ah great! Thanks!