Shrewlad

Littlehat: Do we need it?

Littlehat Poll.  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we need to keep the littlehat rank?

• Yes, I think it is a part of the experience.
    • No, I think it is a waste of peoples time and is an outdated system with no real functionality anymore.

3 hours ago, Torturtle said:

...it doesn't really serve that big of a purpose anymore aside from giving players the sense of acceptance.

Personally I think that the point at which one has a feeling of 'acceptance' is when people greet them upon logging onto the server, if acceptance is something they're looking for at all. That is a true gauge of 'acceptance', not just if some people voted for them or not - if they're looking to be part of the community, then I think the less perceived barriers the better. :)

• Like 3

" In addition lets say a little hats becomes a supporter (not sure if it still works this way) wouldn't their name stay grey as well."

Actually this time the color would take over so you wouldn't be able to tell they are littlehats at all and they'd probably never get votes ever again..unless they mention- oh right.. Tragic.

But I'd like to throw my two cents in because I think I know where I stand now, whereas yesterday I had no idea given the sheer amount of good points on both sides. When I was a littlehat, 7 votes AND (#?) quest points promoted you, which meant you had to work for it if you wanted it (and if you wanted to play with everyone else since littlehats were sort of confined to their own server).. and the quests weren't exactly easy that 64 ink sac quest built character in a world with HORRIBLE spawn rates despite the 4 animal limit xD After getting 13 votes it was still up to me. 

I'm getting off topic, my point I'm trying to make is that not all who join stick around, you know that. Some people you only see on the day they joined, maybe a day or two later, and then never again. Incentive or not, this is unavoidable. Some people don't want to join a community, they just want to play (mostly with friends) and see what fun features a server has to offer. I would say our server is community based (a lot of things that aren't in-your-face obvious and have to ask in chat about) so I suppose that forces some interaction, and you guys are fantastic at welcoming newcomers into the herd whether they be littlehats or just an unfamiliar white name. You can relate to not seeing old players or friends online as much, it really is all down to personal interest and that's fine. Can't force everyone to stay.

Another thing I wanted to point out is this fear I'm seeing in these comments of..some kind of prophesied future tidal-wave of new players bent on wrecking your shite. You know what I'm talking about.. let's call them "The Influx" :o Guys, we've been advertising for ..almost 2 months? I wouldn't say it's brought too many people in, personally. 

And those worried about griefers, let me tell you about the experiences I've seen in my years. 

Spoiler

A) Once upon a time a littlehat said over chat "Can I come see someone's base? I'm looking for some inspiration before I start building my own" to which a friendly hatter replies "Sure, still working on mine, but you can have a look around" and sends them a tpahere. Soon it is apparent they weren't as nice as they seemed as the littlehat swiftly began to grief the place and ignore all "stop!"s, luckily a mod was online and came to the rescue. The person was dealt with, the damage was rolled back good as new, gave us chat observers something new to look out for.

B) A hatter invites his friends over and they have a good time.. until said friends begin to grief. Once again they don't stop and an online mod is called over to deal with it, people are punished and damage is rolled back.

Let me just say that example A happened a few servers ago, before Land existed, before the catapult/carriage existed... these two things alone have cut down griefing so much that it almost doesn't exist anymore. That being said, example B happened on our current server, you can't tell who has the intentions by looking at them..even if you know them personally.

Go ahead and play, the staff will be there if things go awry. Don't worry.

I've seen hatters grief too, which is always a little more of a letdown, but the point is a name color or ability to send a teleport request isn't going to change much. Hell, you get a request from a random person and most people ask "Why?" before accepting anyway. And you know... tpdeny is a thing :P If anyone is worried about harassment or some kind of tpa spam, you can always ask a staff member to tell them to stop if your telling them to stop isn't working.

All in all, I think I'm more on the side of getting rid of the littlehat rank. I agree with the arguments that it may make newbies feel more accepted, then again why not simply talk to that unfamiliar name and get to know them, they'll feel included. We're the friendliest server I know. Those who have been around during this time will look back just as some of the old players look back at the inefficient ways of old servers, it's outlived it's purpose. We have better preventive measures now. This is truly a historical moment, and the majority in that poll will set it in motion. Love to see the outcome :D

((TL;DR srsly emily wtf: I don't think tpa ability is enough incentive to make people stick around. What influx? There is no influx. If someone's gonna grief, they're gonna grief, no matter the color.. the carriage prevents it the most imo. Have no fear, staff is here. I'm voting to get rid of the littlehat rank.))

• Like 4

I feel like we should give everyone access to the Tpa commands and stuff, but they still need to earn the white name. Just my opinion..

• Like 2

I also just want to say I like the idea of being able to sit in a rocking chair stroking a very long white beard and say "I remember when we had to work to get a white name! back in MY day we had to befriend 500 people just to earn a single vote! then we had to set out through 50 miles IN THE SNOW just to collect some ink sacs!" so yeah I say we become the old farts of the future today!!!! 

• Like 4

I think having new players earn their Hat via the tutorial would be a fantastic idea, It would be something earnt through ones own hard work rather than relying on others.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sphiron said:

It would be something earnt through ones own hard work rather than relying on others.

Bring back the ink sacks quest. They must suffer just as many did.

• Like 1

The no votes won the vote with 61.7% to 38.3% voting yes.

We have now removed all people from the littlehat rank and they have been added to Hatter, when finishing the tutorial you will be made a Hatter.

Thank you for all your feedback and votes.

• Like 2