Sign in to follow this  
Zeemo

A wiki, perhaps?

Do you think the community could use a wiki?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. A wiki, yay or nay?

A wiki for the community, by the community.

I wanted to make this post a week in after the server was released, but there were money issues.

Now that it's all well and sorted out, I'd like to make a suggestion for the community getting a wiki for extensive information coverage regarding the server, and general info.

Granted, the main page and the Minecraft section gives a fair few bits and pieces of information, but I feel a wiki can expand on that and provide all users with everything they need (and don't need) to know.

There are choices like Wikia which are completely free and let you make a wiki nice and easily.

Though I prefer the wiki that was present with Hatventures previously.

EDIT: Just found out that the previous wiki is powered by MediaWiki, which is free software (woo!), meaning it just needs to be hosted on the same machine as the Minecraft server (unless it's only dedicated to the minecraft server).

Edited by Zeemo
  • Like 4

I think this is an interesting idea. A wiki could provide a place where even the newest of players could go to find, well, whatever they need to know. Even if no staff is available any Hatter could link the wiki whenever the unanswerable question arises.

Maybe we can even make a quest log? Eh? Eh? Just me? Okay.

Edited by Flash_Portal
Cuz I deed forget some stuff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Flash_Portal said:

Maybe we can even make a quest log? Eh? Eh? Just me? Okay.

Sounds interesting, maybe tied in with the first few introductory quests. (I see you're not talking about what I think you are, this means the wiki could be linked with some starter quests, or even better, with the tutorial itself)

I think honky and I have quest logs, I just need to tidy his up since it's extremely rough.

• Like 1

I have a lot of drop down, pop up handy dandy wiki engineering that could be used (and kind of got cut short with the old wiki) I can at the very least share some coding to make someone else look good. :)

My nay is less tied to the idea of a wiki in general, more that, as things stand at this point in time, we don't really have enough content that would justify a wiki. Realistically, what content could be put on there that's not easily accessible elsewhere? Right now, it sounds more like you want to make a wiki for the sake of making one, as opposed to actually being for the sake of information. 

Spoiler

P.S. I'm not trying to be the mean old bad guy that I seem to sound like here, I just think it would be a better idea to wait until there is a decent amount of good content for the wiki before it's made. The old wiki had the fact that we were more of a fan group at the time, meaning hat films content could be used as a fallback, whereas now we're more of our own community, with less to really go by as of this point. 

I can see what your saying but we have to remember that the content of the old wiki was inherently tied to the exploits of the three. When you 86 all that and JUST base a small wiki on getting people up and running on the server then the wiki becomes much more useful.

This isn't about fandom any more, ass kissing or anything of that ilk. We're talking calm efficient answers to pressing questions regarding the server. As someone who spend a lot of time collating youtube content, I can completely understand where you are coming with this. Let us not let past experience get in the way of the undeniable flexibility of the medium.

A flag can be waved, or it can mark a place where help is received. The flag doesn't care, it is a tool. It is down to the people as to how that tool is used. I do not wish to argue. As in context you make an excellent point.

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

My nay is less tied to the idea of a wiki in general, more that, as things stand at this point in time, we don't really have enough content that would justify a wiki. Realistically, what content could be put on there that's not easily accessible elsewhere? Right now, it sounds more like you want to make a wiki for the sake of making one, as opposed to actually being for the sake of information. 

Hide contents

P.S. I'm not trying to be the mean old bad guy that I seem to sound like here, I just think it would be a better idea to wait until there is a decent amount of good content for the wiki before it's made. The old wiki had the fact that we were more of a fan group at the time, meaning hat films content could be used as a fallback, whereas now we're more of our own community, with less to really go by as of this point. 

You have good points, I will admit.

Certainly, the need for a wiki isn't extreme, but it isn't completely unneeded either.

Also, if this topic isn't brought to light now, then it'll just be spoken about in the future.

The website lacks some information geared toward the adventure server, perhaps a quest log, or even an achievement guide?

Locations of bandit camps etc, granted these would ruin the fun of searching, but if you're chased around by tens of mobs at night and can only go out in the morning, it'll make it a bit easier.

Thankfully, the server does have a lot of helpful people that are always there in someone's time of need, but if there weren't any, then a player could simply type in a command to display the wiki link and bam, there's all the help they'll ever require.

Lastly, this community has given me something great, the feeling of having a home on the internet where everyone will welcome you no matter where you come from, there's something about it that makes me want to stick around forever, hence I want to give something back. I feel that a wiki where I can put up reliable information that's up-to-date regarding the server is a good way of giving back to the community, whether it's new-hats or old-hats.

Edited by Zeemo
  • Like 2

I don't quite see the need for a wiki as there is plenty on information in-game, even more information here on the forums and if someone is really stuck and no one online can answer their questions then they can make a thread and ask here.

I feel like all the tools for newbies to get the full community experience are all here already and a wiki would be just another thing to be maintained and updated.

• Like 4

If we're not doing the episode stuff anymore. Would it really change that much? The mistake I made was trying to catalogue TV content. I was (of course) doomed to fail. The information we're talking about here is fairly static. That said if the info is static, then there are as you so rightly put it; other ways of getting that information to people. I feel the issue here is one of focus, there isn't one central place to get information. Whatever format it takes text, wiki, html or whatever. Personally I was making some exciting advances in minecraft book templates, before life got in the way. An 'in game' solution that might possibly have potential. Your right, a wiki for wikis sake is a fair bit of upkeep. That said a means by which information regarding the server and it's operation is focused down into an easy and accessable format (whatever form it takes. ) can never really be a bad thing can it?

Edited by Tate451
  • Like 1