Zuhpanda

Closing the Server

Good Day all,

Over the last few weeks and months we have all noticed a sharp decline in the number of players on the Minecraft server, mainly due to a lack of interest in Minecraft (a game some of us have played since the alpha began 6 years ago).

Frankly, the general popularity of Minecraft is on the decline, people gain interest in other games or become busier as time goes on, and feel that everything to be done in Minecraft has been done.

This brings up an important question: Is it time to close down the Minecraft server?

This would not mean that we would never again provide any sort of Minecraft server, but rather that none would run for an indefinite amount of time.

This community began with 3 guys who made Minecraft videos, and there was only a Minecraft server and a TS. It was a Minecraft community. Over the years, the community has grown incredibly and throughout those years we have played many more games as a community. In fact, many community members now play together, using our TS, but have not been on Minecraft in months, if not years. Even the Hat Films guys have branched out into other games in order to remain relevant and popular. This is the common thread between all community members. We are not the Hatventures Minecraft community but the Hatventures Community. 

We therefore need to ask ourselves this question, and look to the future.

In order to move forward and put our resources into providing something the community will want to play, we would love to hear any and all thoughts, comments, concerns and suggestions you have!

Your participation in this discussion is appreciated! 

- The Hatventures Staff

• Like 4

I personally would rather have the server to still be up, sure I build for it or whatever but the biggest thing about the server that I enjoy is what it is. Its a meeting point, a common ground, a place where all of the friend circles on it and these Forums came from. It has a legacy but I guess legacy doesn't make it fun.

In any event, I won't spend my evening writing out an essay on this but that's my main beef with this idea. Other people can take it, pro or against, after this.

• Like 2

Ok... first off the title scared the ever loving daylights out of me zuh, however I get where you are coming from. I remember how much fun the event servers were, and honestly I would really like for those to happen more often, I feel like they would not only be a lot of fun, but also would be a good way to bring in some community members that have maybe drifted away. I know that me personally, I've just been burnt out on minecraft, and just have not really had a reason to get on, it is just the same thing over and over again it feels like. Yet when the event servers were up, I had so much fun! That was probably the most fun I had on minecraft in a long time, and look at how many people were on during those, I think on days that the towers were attacked on the first event server, there was maybe at least 50 people, 50!! As for other games, honestly I don't really play much, games that I play with a lot of other people is gmod usually, so maybe servers like prophunt or death run, or hide and seek would be fun, but I think that TTT is pretty well covered because DragonLordJeff has put so much time and effort into his server. At the end of the day, I don't want to lose this community and the friends that I have made here, you guys have been there for me through some pretty rough times, and have also celebrated with me in the good times. I'll go wherever the communtiy goes, but I guess it would be nice to not completely forget our roots and where we came from.

• Like 5

I would love to see the server stay up but I can see the reasons why the server could close... 

I have spent quite a bit of time on the server since coming back after the event servers last year but then the last few months I have stopped going on minecraft servers in general just because I was bored. I still enjoy building every now and then but I'm not interested in building to stay on the server constantly, after losing interest in completing the quests. The reason why I spent most of the time on this server lately was to be able to join with the other community members who I have befriended during and after the event servers. In a way I guess I preferred the event servers because it was something different as everyone worked together for a common cause. It could be fun for everyone if it was an occasional event if enough people were pulled back but probably not long term wise. The only other thing I would wonder is if certain maps could be available to be downloaded if the server went down? It might just me because I have several unfinished builds I would like to finish in creative but if that wasn't possible I'd just restart them again somewhere else... one day... maybe..

However, going ahead it would be fun to possibly see other servers for other games set up, perhaps garrys mod or other games but that would be a lot of effort and might not see enough people use them to start with or if people would burn out on the games/servers by playing a lot to begin with and then stopping, similar to the minecraft server now.

Bit of a ramble but it's just how I currently feel/can think of off the top of my head and write coherently at 3am. I'm just going to shhh now. 

• Like 1

I have honestly run out of things to do on my plot, so I've been wasting time just building and building. Honestly I would love for all of us to potentially go to a modded server, not necessarily our own but one we all agree on, and sort of use that for further MC adventures.

I've put more thought into it, and honestly as long as I have the opportunity to play with all of you guys, regardless of game, I am totally fine with the MC server shutting down.

I think the best course of action would be to focus on a smaller, private server for all of the dedicated hatventures people. Less randoms, and more of a chance for us to just hang and build and socialize. 

Edited by Pepelo
Merged 3 consecutive posts
  • Like 1

In the past, it's events such as the ZoL invasion, Halloween and Christmas events that have drawn people back to the server, right? Has it been considered that there should be another big event similar to these just to raise the popularity?

And just another question, if this doesn't happen/ work, and the servers go down anyway, would there still be the possibility of uploading map downloads? I'm mostly referring to the event maps (ZoL, building comp etc), Survival, adventure, game, creative etc.

Edited by Lord Aerostitus
  • Like 2

I'll chip in with my thoughts on the matter.

Personally I haven't had a major interest in playing Minecraft in a long time. I haven't even done any quests or built a house on the main server in the year it's been online. That's not to say I don't love doing what I do for the server and the stuff I have coded and helped organise it just means I haven't got as much passion to play the game as other people do. I have my reason, mainly due to having played it to death in the past but also life reasons such as working 40 hours a week and not having a lot of free time in between.

Now what do I think we should be doing with the Minecraft server. I personally don't want to see it go entirely, however, I feel it is becoming increasingly difficult to upkeep for myself and fellow staff members around our spare time. The lack of people using it is becoming a deterent I feel to put more effort into it to develop and create new content because it boils down to what's the point of doing all that work in our little free time if hardly anyone will appreciate it. For myself it is also becoming very daunting to think that if I put a lot of work into coding a new lands plugin, gamemode, mod pack, add new features to fishing to name a few things I have started to work on or look into doing that it would be a huge undertaking to upkeep these as well given the amount of stuff on Minecraft we have to currently maintain. If the server was to continue I would prefer to have only one server and in this case Survival and organise Minecraft game events every now and then. I agree, the ZoL events were hugely popular in the past and I can see why. They were different from the norm, people looked forward to working together to a common goal. I'd love to attempt a mod pack server again for the community but doing that as is just as much a big task as what we currently have.

Now what else could we do, I have never been against hosting other types of game servers. I've heard great things about DragonLordJeff's TTT server and can see how popular it has been with the people who used to play it regularly before. I've also wanted to host a Rust server before as well and I am still up for this as I do enjoy playing this game and can see some potential. The problem with those ideas falls down to the same issue we currently have with the Minecraft server, who will use it and how often. Most of the games people play now have there own dedicated servers eg. Overwatch, GTAV, Rocket League and obviously we could not host these. Other games that were successful in the past were Arma 2 Wastelands which brought in a huge amount of players from not just within the community and the server was full on most nights and was hugely fun to play for myself. However with a game like this, including Arma 3, it comes down to how many people can play it with their machines as obviously it cannot be run on a cheap laptop or desktop build.

I'd personally would love to hear what games people would like to have hosted and thoughts on the Minecraft server, bearing in mind the amount of effort and upkeep that has to go into it for the staff. With the way traffic is going with the Minecraft server it is becoming difficult for myself to be motivated with it to keep developing stuff for it. I love this community and want to keep it going but I feel we now need to move on to some other things. I'm more then happy to help maintain them if I know the interest is there and I'm sure other staff members would like to have other games hosted and help out if they can see the interest too.

• Like 9

I've not been on in a while due to not having a computer. But Minecraft is the only way I connect with people in the community and I'm probably not the only one. I love the server, but I think it's too big for such a small community. Id go back to the old server, smaller spawn and stuff, still keep the quests and activities but I don't think we need half the things we have. 

(Please don't get rid of the Minecraft server)

• Like 6

I agree with many sentiments shared here. I haven't been as into MC as I once was and I was never much of a builder, so half the appeal was already missing for me.

Wall of text incoming

Spoiler

My first major point is the time frame we've been running for. This server has been going for nearly a year now. Even the slowest of MC players will be hard pressed to fill an entire year. People achieve what they want in the first couple of months and then disappear having done everything they wanted. Yes, 1.9 has happened in the interim, but without a new server or anything to jump onto, I've seen little reason to jump in and try the new update out. This links into what people have said about the ZoL servers. These were a fresh start, something to keep people engaged.

Secondly, though strongly linked to the first. Unfortunately server membership is a bit of a downward spiral. If one person leaves, it's reasonably likely that their friends will follow suit sooner rather than later. I'll admit to being a bit of an old Fogey, having been around since Temp 1 back in the old days and thus tending to want to stick to my group of friends rather than get to know new people, however this is an issue that is a real problem that should be considered. Speaking personally, the big draw for this MC server (and every other server since I stopped going solo) was being able to play with my group of friends. As the rest of the guys stopped playing, so did my reason to play.

With regards to extra content, I'd say the issues were twofold, the grind associated with adventure and the lack of other extra content/pace it was released.

With regards to the grind, I am again speaking from a personal viewpoint, but I didn't enjoy how some of the quests in adventure required you to spend hours in survival just farming resources. This was more of a personal niggle I suppose, but I did find it frustrating how there were quests classed as Lv1 quests that basically required you to be pretty much completed with the survival progression or required so much grinding that you couldn't do anything else for ages. If we were to do this again, I'd personally want things rebalanced a bit. Then again, its probably just me and other people were perfectly fine with it.

With regards to other extra content and the pace of release. While I do not expect extra content to hold membership in the same way as survival, I do feel that any planned extra content came too late to have any impact. If extra content is released early enough to be out before people are losing interest then it will offer a distraction, maybe enough to keep the survival spark within them for a bit longer.

Overall, what would I say needs to happen if we plan to keep the server?

Well, first and foremost, I'd say that we'd need more frequent resets or event servers. Of course we wouldn't want to overdo it lest we drive away people with less time to spare or cause people to get burnt out too quickly. Maybe quarterly or once every four months. That should give people enough time to do anything they want to do while not leaving people who spend an hour or so per day on the server hung out to dry. If event servers were to be used, then maybe the reset cycle could be every 6 months with an event server halfway through each cycle.

A smaller server would also be a good idea, it would push people together, encouraging interaction. Some concerns with regards to that though would be with regards to people who want to set up larger projects who may find themselves pressed for space and if a lands plugin is included people who find themselves caught in someone else's land.

Earlier extra content or none at all. I may be misremembering, but at the start of this server there was talk regarding a bunch of the popular minigames from the old server making their way over to the new one. I can't remember if this happened or not, but if it did, I feel it didn't come soon enough. I can understand needing to iron out some issues getting it set up, leading to membership dropping off before it was ready, so I can see why this happened.

On the other hand, if the server were to shut down, it'd probably be a good idea to restart some of the source servers or maybe set up something else like rust for example. While we are no longer linked to HatFilms, I'd say a reasonable chunk of the membership of the community are still very much fans of the lads, so maybe we should start to play things that they're pushing towards. Source servers that might be worth having would be TTT, Goldeneye, Hidden, etc. I understand not wanting to devote resources to these if they aren't going to be used, but speaking as someone who doesn't play on here as much as I used to, part of what caused a decline in play was the lack of provision for games we did want to play.

Anyway, I should probably conclude now after this wall of text. Since we've been running for nearly a year now without any content resets, people have lost interest which has caused a domino effect dragging more and more people away. Extra content like minigames could be used better to help alleviate this. A smaller server could also help alleviate the domino effect issue. If the server were to be shut down, we should either bring back the source servers or bring ourselves more into line with the sirs as a reasonable chunk of the membership are still interested in their content.

No matter what happens, I want to offer my best to Dan and the rest of the staff who put in a great deal of work for us, a lot more than many of us are probably aware. I know a lot of my suggestions may at times seem a bit hand wavey and as such I don't expect them to be 100% doable, however I hope that these suggestions could be used to make whatever comes next as good as it can be.

• Like 5

Brace yourselves for a long post.

Spoiler

Firstly, I'd like to speak about vanilla Minecraft and everything regarding that on the server. Let's be honest, vanilla Minecraft is lacking. I've been playing the game since Alpha, and it was all fun when I had no idea how to make a pickaxe, but once you get used to it, there isn't much to do. Minecraft isn't like Terraria where there's a massive progression curve, and tons of weapons and toys for you to play around with, it's just simple stages that you get used to once you've played a good 10 times or so. And Mojang hasn't really done anything to change that really linear and tiny curve. Over the past year or so they've mostly focused on building, commands, with a few combat tweaks. Where's all the cool things?

I know, there's still a lot of things you can do, like build. But keep in mind not everyone enjoys building, or mining, or exploring. I don't mind most of these, but I dislike things that can't keep me engaged, like the three things I just listed. I'm not a talented builder, I can't do one thing for a long time (mining), nor do I like exploring much. This gives me many less things to do in this game, and I've been playing it straight for 5 years.

Which brings me to my next point, the server. I really enjoyed 1.8 when it first came out, hell, I watched Marbles livestream his experience on the server once it got Founder access just because I was so excited to see all the new things. Bugtesting was fun too, but alas all those things were fixed (not that that's a bad thing). I know what you're thinking, plugins add a lot of content, now you're right, but once you've done all the fun quests they just become a resource grind, and while you may say that it's to prolong your time on the server, let's be honest, a lot of people don't like grinding, and I'm one of them. Especially if I have to grind only to come to another quest that's yet another grind. Fishing is fun, but really, a bunch of the plugins are simply you do one thing for a large amount of time, and I don't like fishing when I'm one of very few people on the server who aren't talking anyways. Parkour becomes annoying because I'm not too good at it, and I'm not willing to put a lot of time in 'practice makes perfect', it doesn't become fun after constant failing. A lot of these activities become better when there's more people on the server, to chat around and have fun with.

Next point, server population. There are a lot of factors for the player count recently dwindling, but the largest one is probably because Minecraft got boring, all of us can only play vanilla for so long. Another reason is people getting busy, we're all real people, and we all have lives, the staff even more so, they're merely just volunteers that spend some of their free time fixing up and making the server cooler for us to have an enjoyable experience on. But it's not just one-sided, think of it as an exchange, the staff spend their hard-earned time on fixing bugs and maintaining the server, and we play on it more. Recently it's been the former. But that's not our fault, it isn't anyone's. 

Bringing me back to point 1, Minecraft. The game in general is getting old and is only fun with a bunch of friends, or modded. Modded is a great way to introduce yourself to funky mechanics, new items, new bosses, new terrain, a whole new experience simply put. Now modded isn't easy to run, we all know this from Hatpack. However, I also believe that reducing modded's capabilities and mod count down a mere 50 isn't really the way to go, I would personally say 100 mods are optimal, any more and you'd be looking at much more instability and much higher pricing on a server used to run it. Especially with how 1.8 mods and 1.10 mods are nearly completely new from what you knew before, they would certainly recieve interest.

I completely understand that maintaining and renting modded servers are nothing to laugh at, but that also brings me to say that there's a large interest in that area of the game, and there are probably people who can and may be willing to put some effort in to maintain said server. I'm not going to suggest anyone, nor point fingers, but I'm sure a fair few of you know that this is possible. We are a community, and we banded together to form this site, the server, the Teamspeak, everything. If there's one thing we're good at it's being united.

Vanilla as a whole is just dead at this point, there's very few people that enjoy it, and most of us are just tired of it, it's like beating a dead horse.

What can we do to make Minecraft more interesting? 

• Event servers, everyone is waiting for these, banding together with your comrades and marching towards the same goal is probably the most fun I've ever had in vanilla Minecraft. They're a great way to invite new people and make new friends when you set out in groups to do different tasks. Please bring these back.
  • Reset the server more frequently, this has been a major issue as it's been the same survival map for nearing the entire year, FTB had resets every 3 months or so, and that worked well as it brought people who had nothing to do back to a new reset with new mods and changes. Since it's vanilla, add some new plugins maybe? I've never checked them out so I'm unsure that they're good content-wise, maybe some cool mechanics though.

But what if we were to look at other options? Other games?

I shall list games I believe are interesting and should have a fair bit of interest as well as upcoming.

1. Rocket League: This game got an update recently that adds powerups, this adds to say a few of us also properly started playing it recently, and it's been pretty fun. Tournaments are an option regarding this, scramble to find your potential team mates and win to win prizes, just a suggestion.
    Unfortunately with this game, the servers are dedicated, however you can create parties and host private matches.
  2. GTA V: Recently with this game there hasn't been much, but if you're with friends, any gaming session turns out to be great fun. Whether you're messing around in freemode, delivering crates or doing playlists, with your buddies, it's all a good time.
    Once again, sadly the servers for GTA V are only dedicated, so nothing can be done on the hosting front, which is good, because we can organise events for it.
  3. Rust: As Dan and a few others have said, Rust is good fun with your friends, however if it becomes a thing let's not make it so that you can't raid, because a very major part of the game is raiding, and if you take that out it just becomes a somewhat realistic and better looking version of Minecraft. I've taken part in hosting a modded Rust server, and it's surprisingly easy to deal with, but there's a lack of administrative commands to fix things with.
  4. Insurgency: Coming off as a realistic version of Counter Strike, this game is really fun to play, I've only been doing co-op, but it's fun nonetheless. There's a few clientside mods out and about for this game, and they're fun to use on servers that allow simple mods that don't alter gameplay much. Unfortunately there's not many Hatters I know that own this game, hence why I'm suggesting it because it's pretty decent.
  5. Starbound: Being known as the space-y version of Terraria, this game recently came out of Early Access, with a content overhaul and many new shiny features and things. As with the usual rule, it's more fun to play with friends, and is nice if you're looking to complete quests, get better gear, or just build.
  6. Stardew Valley: Being very similiar to Harvest Moon, which a lot of people absolutely loved, this game lets you take the role of a farmer bringing up his farm from the ground-up to grow all sorts of crops, trees, and market delicacies. It's scheduled for a major content update and multiplayer support somewhere in Q4 this year, I doubt it'll let you host dedicated servers but it's gonna be real fun to play with fellow Hatters.
  7. Golf With Your Friends: As the title says, it's golf, with your friends. This game is very simple, and so very cheap. It has dedicated servers but 9 courses over 3-4 different maps of minigolf with fancy mechanics and holes that'll keep you wondering on how your friend got that hole-in-one. It's a real treat to play with your buddies even if there's not much content-wise.
  8. Civilisation 6: Possibly one of the most-hyped games amongst the Hatventures strategy fans, this game has a lot of people extremely excited to play, and has been looking pretty promising content and feature-wise. Events could be organised for this, and it will most certainly be popular when it's out.
  9. Garry's Mod: This definitely needs no introduction, TTT and other gametypes for this sandbox game are really popular with the community, and there is most certainly enough interest for this to become a server of it's own where Hatters play on.

These are about all my suggestions regarding games that have interest amongst the community and outside of it. However with most of these as you may think, we may not be able to host dedicated full-time servers. Hence why events are the next best thing.

This isn't to say that all of these options are a walk-in-the-park to do and we should get started on them right away, they are suggestions.

A fair few of them may be quite a challenge to do but I believe all of them are a better option than the current server, that is not including the modifications that can be done to the server itself. 

I really appreciate all the work the staff have put in the past and will put in the future to create a world where all of us can enjoy ourselves and have a good time, thank you for reading.

Edited by Zeemo
  • Like 7

I personally have not even seen my minecraft icon in MONTHS. Minecraft is a fun game, but like the sirs I think many people have started to grow away from it, at least I have. To be honest maybe it is time to let the game rest, and seek greener pastures, so to speak. don't get me wrong though I am sad to say that.

of course the issue with moving on is the same problem we are currently having: attendance.

In any game people are bound to get bored of it or just accomplish all their goals and stop playing. If we we're to keep the minecraft server maybe take a page from game servers like ark and rust and have semi-frequent wipes. or as others have said event servers.

I have run a rust server and am currently running 2 ark servers, they are surprisingly easy to work with, even with mods installed (as far as ark that is, I let zeemo handle the rust modding as I am what some may call "inept"). As for pricing rust is not to bad i think it was around 30-40 usd for 3 months ark however is almost double that. now those are just the games I have experience with, there are probably better game options out there.

All in all this is a sad topic and now I have to go the WHOLE day sad, THANKS!

• Like 1

Due to me being lazy and not being able to afford a new CPU I haven't played Minecraft properly for a few months. However, in saying that I would be sad to find one day the server that I met all these lovely people on has closed for good. So as most people have suggested I am also in favour of the semi-frequent resets or maybe an event server or two. As for other PC games, I never really played anything other than Minecraft as my computer could barely run that. Anywho massive thanks to the staff maintaining the server over the past years and I hope it sticks around in some form

• Like 3

After all the mistakes I've made, people I've pissed off, sleepless nights, and general havoc I've caused, I'm kinda surprised sometimes that I'm even still allowed to be part of the community but if there is one thing I learned from the time I was banned way back when, it's that this community is an amazing one. I'll admit, I don't play on the MC server nearly as often as I used to and it is largely because vanilla doesn't hold my interest very well anymore. I've not really played modded MC since hatpack because I have nowhere to play with people. I honestly think that being part of this community has changed who I am a good deal. I don't know what to suggest about what the community might garner interest to given that my options are greatly limited by fiances and hardware, but I hope there will be an option for those of us with these kind of restrictions.

• Like 3

Saw this post and thought I would shove my 5 pennies worth in.

Minecraft itself is declining in popularity, people still do play it but i think, as it's been a common theme above, to communicate, to talk, to make, and keep in touch, with friends. I have made many friends over here and got many treasured memories (and screenshots!) from the years on this wonderful, friendly, quirky server. There are new people to be found if we probably got out there more, but that's beside the point. With the survival situation, I will agree with Elmo, it needs to be refreshed more and quickly, yes I am aware setting up servers and plugins and things but it is probably do-able. Maybe if more staff was pulled from active members or even a "helper" status was made to work on it then its an idea. If it was smaller as well with big event servers that are a regular thing, yeah it's hard work to set this up and i know its peoples free time being used up and we all appreciate it truly. Massive hide and seek events, Battle theatres, with perks and money as prizes (minecraft stuff) would be awesome. Outside of the aspect of Minecraft, yes there is a plethora of games that are hostable, Rust, Ark Survival, Don't Starve Together, Terraria and more that can capacitate people, raiding, working together, some don't even require heavy amounts of power. They can be modded as well, like added challenges for Ark or Don't starve, even competition weekends with see who can live the longest and so on. Expansion and diversification is the key here as well as broad advertising, a lot of money has been donated to this place to keep it running, some websites have a "server of the week" you can bid for. 

I don't think this place may be done yet, we have a lively forums and a beautiful community, maybe diversification of the server and what it offers could be the key.

But thats my 5 pennies worth

• Like 8

I don't really play minecraft anymore, as long as there are other games we can play as a community (like TTT) then I'm good.

Had to be extra short to balance out the walls of text there.

• Like 2

Yeah hello.

I haven't really been involved around here for awhile. Life gets in the way like that, and I haven't been on the MC server much since I got pretty bored of the game.

Even so, seeing the ol' Minceraft Hat server go would be sad, buuut I definitely agree with some here that a Rust or Ark server would be really great.

Something like that would totally get me back to playing games with you all again.

I look forward to seeing where you all move on to from here.

• Like 1

Good day all

Recently I have reached the milestone of being 5 or so years in this community. I joined because I saw hatfilms' videos on the Minecraft server back in 2011. I saw what the community at the time had built (both in mc and communal terms) and was eager to be a part of it. So I bugged my friend to give me his Mc password so I could join and the rest is history!

The moment I joined the server I felt welcome. Seeing the chat being filled with welcomes go leor made me feel that this place was something special. I didn't contribute much chat wise as it wasn't my account. It wasn't until around the server of 2013 (the name escapes me at this time) that I joined as my own account L0rdTrundle. I decided this time to contribute more, chat wise, and found some great people who I befriended and still call my friends today.

My point (with this "origin story" paragraph) is that if we get rid of the MC server, we are losing what I think is a very important tool, used to get to know people and make friends/ make people want to contribute to the community. I feel if we just had a TS and that's it, the server would look very daunting to newcomers who may feel out of place in an established community. At least with MC you can do your own thing for a while and then make friends later by making the odd joke here or there in chat and randomly tping to people to say hi. I also feel that if we got rid of the MC server we would lose people who don't have good enough laptops or pcs to run other games like GTA. I personally still use MC to build in survival and more importantly chat with people as I don't speak in TS.

Despite this, I would rather the MC server not be a chore to those who provide it. I would rather my staff friends but their time and effort into something they are passionate about and enjoy than something they seem to be almost non-rewarding.

I saw some people talk about making new game servers and thought I'd give my opinion on that too.

Another game that I made countless amount of friends in is gmod. I had the same experience joining Dan's ye olde gmod server with that of the MC server. I felt that it was easy to feel welcomed by the people playing, which made me want to contribute chat wise. I think clear rules must be set out and followed by all who join, as there are currently 2 main groups of TTT players who play two different play styles which often clash.

In terms of a Rust/Ark server I feel that it would burn out quicker than MC (also they are hard enough games to run). If I were to choose though it would be Ark.

In terms of a modded MC server, again they are hard to run server wise and pc wise, however I agree with Zeemo who said a 100 mods mod pack would be reasonable.

To conclude, I think if we were to get rid of anything MC wise it would imo have to be the adventure server. I always felt from the beginning that the quests weren't that fun (as in too grindy/hard) but I know a lot of people enjoyed them and don't mean to disrespect the effort that people put into making that side of the MC server.

I also feel that the old server survival layout was better with a separate survival spawn to that of the hub and the North South and West area teleports at spawn rather than just a cannon.

I also loved the ZOL event servers and the little additions to the server during holidays like Halloween and Christmas which I felt brought the community closer MC wise during those times.

• Like 5

Well, I feel like this has been a long time coming. I think the complete loss of the server would be unfortunate, but It's hardly worth supporting for a very small amount of people. Perhaps it can be downsized to a point that would require minimal upkeep.

As far as the way forward goes, I'm really unsure. The great thing about minecraft is that literally everyone can play it. A not insignificant portion of this community has mediocre at best computers, so anything really intensive already knocks out a lot of people. Source mods are fairly low requirement, but unfortunately that ship sailed quite some time ago. Years ago I would've suggested we setup a bunch of different mods like Zombie Master and Obsidian Conflict, but those are all long dead for the most part. TTT is so obvious it's not even worth bringing up. I do think a Sven Coop server would be worth looking into, considering anybody who has a computer build within the last decade can run it, and is totally free on Steam.

As far as other games go, god knows there's plenty of free to play games under the sun. And we already play GTA and other games regularly. Maybe we can start scheduling events properly.

I don't want to see this community dissolve, ya'll are some of my best friends. I think there is a future for us as a community, and if minecraft isn't a part of it so be it

• Like 3

Adapt or die goes the old saying, and I'm sure we don't want to die.

The Minecraft needs to go in it's current form and the Community should shift it's focus to a more diverse, sustainable future. Minecraft's popularity has declined due to it's lower popularity generally and, more specifically to Hatventures, the fact that the Sirs have left us behind.

A much downsized server, perhaps mini-games or a blank slate for events. Goodbye Adventure World, it pains me more than most to say this.

A community needs a steady flow of new members in order to sustain itself. Our connection to Hatfilms, mixed with the warm reception at all times of day on the perpetually running Minecraft Server provided that flow for a long time. It also didn't have the extra pressure of joining the TS server and having to talk/be talked at.

The community needs to facilitate more games, but only popular games should be hosted by us, notably GMod, most games can be fun to play on the dedicated servers. These forums and TS server should serve to be the backbone of the community.

I think encouraging more, smaller events, even so little as organising when to be online at the same time, that can be run by anyone but facilitated by staff, would be the best way to keep the community alive and kicking.

I have played Planetside 2 for nearly 4 years with another community which collapsed completely 2 years ago and took part in its complete revival, so I have put a lot of thought into community building. Hatters playing with non-Hatters in online games and by posting referenced content on relevant subreddits is the best way to keep a steady flow of new players coming in, large game specific forums are just not as relevant as they used to be.

A discussion and poll of games that Hatters are playing/played in the last month would probably help us figure out our direction.

I too would like to thank the excellent dedication and also the bravery, in initiating this change, of the staff. Thanks for the hard work.

Edited by Flingbing
  • Like 8

So I'm going to keep it sweet because i hate reading, i really hate reading. The point of the hatventures community server is to bring people together in a gaming community. Now me personally I'm burnet out on minecraft and gta. So whats the next game guys?

• Like 6

So i was wondering when this topic was going to be brought up.

I personally have had so little to do with this community over the past few months due to just having no interest in the games that are most commonly played here now.

MineCraft unmodded well theres nothing i can say that hasnt been said over and over by now, but if we are to keep a UNmodded server it needs to be small.... id personally say around the size of Temp3 or 4.

When it comes to what to play i personally wouldnt mind Modded MC (If that cant happen i get why), Playing ARK/Rust/StarBound in a proper HV server, I would be up for MOBA/OW/Atlas Reactor In-house's and some Kill your Friends and Surivie with Friends on Dead By DayLight.
The personal issue with me and playing other games with friends is im to competitive for my own good so when it comes to causal games i cant be bothered or i aim to win and be competitive still. I just find it hard to be interested in not competitive games nowadays :(

Both ways i hope we can make something come from this, we always do.
And ill be here all the way.

Edited by hopeofhell
  • Like 3

On 9/20/2016 at 03:29, Flingbing said:

A discussion and poll of games that Hatters are playing/played in the last month would probably help us figure out our direction.

Considering no one has done it yet, I took the liberty to make a poll using all of the games I believe people played. Of course, this is mostly based on games I played with Hatters, or just Hatters on my friends list.

Which multiplayer games have you played in the past month?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11265622

I understand that a fair few of you may have played more than 3 of these in the past month, but I would prefer if you kept it to a maximum of 3 options per person. In the event of this, I have made another poll which only focuses on the game you've played the most, two polls shouldn't take up a lot of your time.

Which multiplayer game did you play the most in the past month?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11265682

Edited by Zeemo
  • Like 3

Good Day everyone,

Thanks to all those who have contributed so far, keep it up! We really appreciate the level of discussion and insight you've all brought to this topic!

Know that all the staff members are constantly reading all of your responses as we consider options! 

Look out for a fresh post regarding all this on Saturday!

-  The Hatventures Staff

• Like 3