hopeofhell

HatVentures.... Discord?

8 posts in this topic

So ill start off with what Discord is so people who dont know what it is can understand what it is, Discord is a VOIP/ Text messaging Program that can be used over a Desktop/Mobile/Website that aims to replace Skype, TS and other VOID Programs.

So, with that said i dont belive it would could or should replace the TS server or forums but i feel like something like a Discord server could be a good tool for the Community going forward.
The reasons i could belive this is that it allows people to talk and keep in touch without having to use the forums or TS, it will allow people to easyly contact a group of people in one step by just pinging wanted people on the app and arrange a game or something.
It allows members to be able to seamlessly be able to talk, share and game... And it has some twitch integration and a few other things for it (namely Better Discord made by the same people who made Better Twitch)

Now on about the App itself and the servers. Its free and the servers have very little issues and if it does the longest iv seen the Discord servers go down was for 5mins, it has a few hickups here and there but ofc it would do.
The Largest server i take part in is over 700 people, i cant say how many of them people are offline or lurking but thats a sizeable amount of people.

Id strongly belive that from the most Active users to the most inactive users here would get some/alot of use from this APP.

Thats all i have to say on it but iv been useing the program for a year + now so i can answer some more questions on it if needed. 

I have used Discord with other communities and I find it a bit clumsy. The best part of it is the live chat feature but I believe in simplicity and would like to see the TS server remain our primary communications hub.

Considering with how most of the community that formed together prefers the forums and the TS to anything else, I believe we should stick with what we have.

Granted, Discord is a free service and that means a lot for what it can do, however I think that should only be kept as a last resort should the community in a very unfortunate and unlikely event, run out of money.

I also believe that having a voice and text channel for every single topic, game or general channel would be a hassle, and would look unorganised.

TS knows organisation best with how it balances the profile pane, the channel list pane, and the channel chat pane.

I really prefer TS because of how lightweight and simple it is to use, you don't need to make an account, it doesn't use more than 30 MB of your RAM, and barely uses your internet connection.

In addition, TS has been used for over 5 years and pretty much everyone knows how to use it.

Now I'm not trying to shut down the usage of Discord at all, as I've mentioned above it should be a last resort, I personally think that having all these multiple forms of communications would become quite cluttered, and we should stick with what we know best, and prefer.

Edited by Zeemo

56 minutes ago, Zeemo said:

Considering with how most of the community that formed together prefers the forums and the TS to anything else, I believe we should stick with what we have.

Granted, Discord is a free service and that means a lot for what it can do, however I think that should only be kept as a last resort should the community in a very unfortunate and unlikely event, run out of money.

I also believe that having a voice and text channel for every single topic, game or general channel would be a hassle, and would look unorganised.

TS knows organisation best with how it balances the profile pane, the channel list pane, and the channel chat pane.

I really prefer TS because of how lightweight and simple it is to use, you don't need to make an account, it doesn't use more than 30 MB of your RAM, and barely uses your internet connection.

In addition, TS has been used for over 5 years and pretty much everyone knows how to use it.

Now I'm not trying to shut down the usage of Discord at all, as I've mentioned above it should be a last resort, I personally think that having all these multiple forms of communications would become quite cluttered, and we should stick with what we know best, and prefer.

I dont see any down side in having more ways to be able to easyly talk to people and be part of the community more proactively than having to part take in Forums which can be slow or TS which needs a speakers and mic to properly use.

I like the fact that i can keep talking to people and interacting with the communities live as things happen, and not having to use a voice based forum of com's.
When it comes to how small a program TS is Discord and TS both use about the same amount of CPU and RAM usage and for internet usage Discord on AVG use's only about 3KB more than TS does for me and thats purely cause i dont have image previews turned off.
Making a account doesnt really matter lets be real and it lets you do some unneeded things that are nice.
and when it comes to how simple it is to use, Discord is fairly simple but just to how simple TS is its hard to say things are more simple than TS.

I dont see why something that we could use as well should be a last resort, or how things can be cluttered.... TS for main VOIP, Forums for Threads and Bulk of the more Topical things, and Discord would for mixed chill chats and just keeping up with people. and not to note that Discord would be a nice way to keep in touch with some people while on mobile and what not.

1 hour ago, Flingbing said:

I have used Discord with other communities and I find it a bit clumsy. The best part of it is the live chat feature but I believe in simplicity and would like to see the TS server remain our primary communications hub.

And to the what Fling said on it being Clumsy i dont personally see it, iv been actively useing it for as long as i said in like three servers but i guess it has alot going on compared to TS so i can understand your point if you were coming from that.
And a text and voice channel for everything wouldn't be needed, Frankly half the time most of the the channels in TS dont get used as well and IMO has always looked cluttered.

Like, i said i dont believe it should place TS (even if it could at some date if it proves to be better than TS which id doubt) as i said, just something that can be used along side it.

I was just putting the idea to use along side TS anyways as im sure most people would rather just use TS as a main VOIP as we are used to it and honestly im sure for how this community has it set up it would be better as a main VOIP, never said to replace it like now if at all.
Most people have not used it much if at all and we know we can always trust TS to do its job for what we want.
Never hurts to have more good options right.... and its free and easy to set up so it couldnt hurt to give it a look at and try it, idk thats just my thoughts.

22 minutes ago, hopeofhell said:

I dont see any down side in having more ways to be able to easyly talk to people and be part of the community more proactively than having to part take in Forums which can be slow or TS which needs a speakers and mic to properly use.

I would fear that it could spread out our community members too thinly, having both. I agree that Discord is a great program, but I believe TS to be closer to what our community needs.

Perhaps your desire for a constant love connection could be fulfilled by having a chatbox in the footer of our forums? Might be something to explore.

22 minutes ago, hopeofhell said:

Frankly half the time most of the the channels in TS dont get used as well and IMO has always looked cluttered.

I agree that simplicity is the best policy for TS organisation, but compared to most servers, ours is very clean. The important thing is that it is clear how to use it and makes it accessible and quick.

2 hours ago, Flingbing said:

I would fear that it could spread out our community members too thinly, having both. I agree that Discord is a great program, but I believe TS to be closer to what our community needs.

Perhaps your desire for a constant love connection could be fulfilled by having a chatbox in the footer of our forums? Might be something to explore.

I agree that simplicity is the best policy for TS organisation, but compared to most servers, ours is very clean. The important thing is that it is clear how to use it and makes it accessible and quick.

Ya maybe a ChatBox would be nice. Didnt think of that...
And ya honestly i would like to have a stronger connection to the community again that didnt mean for me to sit on TS for hours and i was making this incase i wasnt alone on this thought, maybe i am... how knows.

And ya our TS is the cleanist TS iv seen doesnt mean its not cluttered to me... maybe im just use to how cleaner Discord is or just looks compared to TS.

1 person likes this

More places to communicate, in this case Discord, means community members are more dispersed out and less likely to interact with the bigger community as a whole because they form there own little groups away from everyone else which is something we don't want. 

We want everyone to be social, make new friends and share ideas and of course have fun together

That's why on the Minecraft Server for example there is the global chat that links to all servers and not just to the specific server you are on for that reason. We want people to be together as much as possible, not seperated about all over the place. The TS is quiet empty most of the times with plenty of channels to chat in so I don't see any reason why we need a Discord channel.

It's a nice suggestion don't get me wrong, it's just not needed right now considering what we have now works. If for any reason going forward when our license for TS expires there is a greater desire to move to Discord instead then it may be a topic of discussion between everyone if it is best to migrate.

3 people like this

I prefer TS to be very honest I have used Discord and I just find the UI to be just "bleh" Teamspeaks UI yet simple is easy to understand and since it has got a long term following it means the company is less likely to shut down development.

From what I currently understand Discord currently doesn't have a big source of income other than investors. Which means if they cancel then it could all be stopped. Also with TS you own the server the and the information (if you make the server). 

I have my own server which took less than 10 mins to do. The server itself is also lightweight and can run on as little as 1vCPU and 1GB of RAM. Licensing wise if you own the server you can easily sign up for an NPL (Non-Profit License) which allows up to a total of 512 clients. No idea how the server is currently hosted but overall TS would have a very small monetary footprint if the server was run using low spec VPS. 

Rant over lol Anyway back to TS