danjono

Rust server feedback/suggestions

MzHvblU.png

As explained in the summary post here, the Rust server is mostly completed. This post is to get feedback and recommendations from the players of Rust to make sure everything is just right before we launch, and to understand our general thinking of what we as staff would like the server to be like.

Firstly I want to emphasise that the map will not be like how we have had on the Minecraft server. As Rust is still technically an early access game with changes/new features added every week, worlds and progress are likely to be reset every now and then through no control of our own. I thought I'd state that now in case some people were not aware of this.

Plugins
Now moving onto what we have currently. Oxide is installed to allow us to use plugins. A list of what is available to download can be found here so feel free to have a look and see if you can see anything you like.

Installed plugins so far are:

Rust:IO Map

Clans

InfoPanel

KillFeed

Other misc. admin plugins like TP, kicking and banning etc.

As it stands, we want to keep things as vanilla as possible. This means no economy/shop plugins, teleportation mods like /home or /tpa, and no little tweak plugins for example that close your doors automatically. As far as I'm concerned, if you forget to shut your door it's your fault and your base is fair game.

As for teleportation, I have never personally liked this on Rust servers I have played on as you find people will combat log or just do /home when they are lost. Same applies to /tpa, where players will just use other players as 'beacons' to get to where they want, especially true if they are getting raided.

As we have done with the Minecraft server, we want to keep things simple but not overly easy or overly complicated. We want to have the fine line in between where it is a challenge but also fair. We especially don't want people to get disheartened just because they got raided or died and it took them a month to build and gather everything up and never come back.

ePa6JxN.png

We Need You

So how can we do this, that's where I'd like to get some feedback. Myself personally and most of the staff have not played Rust in a while, and a lot of things have changed since such as the recent update of bringing back radiation and removing blueprints to allow all craftable items from the start simply by getting the required parts (although some parts being harder to get than others obviously).

Does this mean the quantity of items you get from resource gathering or can stack needs to be adjusted to make it less of a grind, or is the way it currently is okay?

Do durability numbers need to be changed to make it easier or harder to remove walls/items? Would it be better to make it easy for you to destroy placed items in your building area or is the way it is by default fair. Does decay rate need to be adjusted for when you are offline?

Also on this subject of bases I have come across a plugin to reduce base damage when you are offline, giving you a better chance of not coming back to a raided base after you've only been away a day. What are people's thoughts on this?

Whatever we decide to do in the end, it will need to be tested and will likely go through a lot of fine tweaking and adjusting as time goes on to find the right configuration that the majority are happy with. The only way to do this, of course, is when people are playing on it and feeding back any problems or suggestions. We want to hear your experiences with other Rust servers and what you liked and disliked about them to try and work out a solution that can make everyone happy.

We are open to any feedback and discussions on this - if you find a plugin that you think can be beneficial also please post it below.

When providing feedback please consider the pros and cons of your idea. Some ideas may sound great at first, but once you dive into how others could use it or even be exploited, you may realise it's probably not for the best to have on our server. As I mentioned before, we don't want the server to be easy, we want it to be a challenge but also not a grind fest.

• Like 8

I'm so happy you're putting up a Rust server!

From my experience on other servers, I do prefer it to be:

-Easy to tear down your own buildings

-Hard to raid offline players

-Slow base decay, as I do have a job that sometimes keeps me offline for a whole week (although that's my problem, not something for you to base a server on).

-Without mandatory RP stuff

But those are just my preferences.

Rules on killing, raiding and destroying can spark heated debates, so imho it would be wise to be very clear on this.

Maybe first put up a map for testing, and start anew when the new cave system and harbours get implemented?

• Like 4

I will agree with pickled, slow base decay is massively helpful, along with harder offline raiding, one frustration i always had was with people offline raiding and its a boost for people solo'ing it.

Tweaking animals may be a good idea, sometimes i could go days without seeing bears, horses ect ect but that may be a server side issue i don't know. 

Apart from that, should be fairly fun :D

• Like 1

One of the problems I found with my previous experiences of Rust was that gathering resources was much too easy, it would only take a few minutes to get 1000 wood. A key part of Rust's gameplay is the time spent gathering resources so you can build your base, or whatever. I found that the less time it took to gather resources, the more bored I became since I was achieving everything quicker and it took little effort. It's important to balance out the yields from trees and stone etc., so that it's enough of a grind that it takes time to gather resources, but no so much of a grind that you get bored. 

There is a plugin that lets you put images from urls on signs and paintings which is pretty cool. I recall having a lot of fun with that previously, though obviously it's easy to abuse. Gotta make a spicy meme gallery though.

Making it harder to raid the bases of offline players is great. There is no worse feeling than logging in to find that all your doors and chests are gone, and someone has renamed your sleeping bag to numerous insults. It's nice to get a chance to at least defend your stuff.

Not having a teleport home would definitely be refreshing, it adds an element of risk whenever you go out to gather resources or to loot buildings, or just to generally explore. Having played Minecraft for years with /home, I'm actually looking forward to not having it in Rust.

One thing that I would maybe like to see is less reliance on a dynmap. It's fun to not immediately know where you are in relation to others, or where the places with all the loot are in relation to you. It makes it harder for players to meet up (unless they all spawn in the same place), but with a little exploration alone and coordination they can find each other. One problem I found on a previous server was that the dynmap had a map showing where the high concentrations of death were, which pointed out where people's bases were. This isn't great as (from personal experience) large groups are pretty apt at dying all the time all over the base, and making a huge target for anyone looking at the dynmap. Rust actually has an in-game map that you can craft, though I'm not sure how detailed it is.

I guess I'm just looking for a grittier experience, with less hand-holding. I want to have to think twice before I go exploring, with the possibility of getting lost.

• Like 3

Yeah, I have to say that I for one would like a server with slower decay and a bit more protection for the offline players, partially because I absolutely hate coming online to find all my hard work has been stolen/destroyed.

Thanks for the feedback so far. The general feeling so far is Slower decay/harder to raid offline players. Could having it harder to raid offline players be exploited in some way? Could that make it easier to tell if someone is offline based on how much damage you are doing to a base? Could that then entice people to raid it more as they know someone is less likely to come back?

1 hour ago, TheLadyGamer said:

Tweaking animals may be a good idea, sometimes i could go days without seeing bears, horses ect ect

I agree, in the past I have never had much of a PvE experience. Dehydration has become more of a challenge in the latest updates with the re-introduction of radiation. I'm not sure however if wolves or bears have had any tweaks but if not I'd like to have an increase in these (with a reduction of resources to gather from them to balance it out)

40 minutes ago, Captain_Marbles said:

One of the problems I found with my previous experiences of Rust was that gathering resources was much too easy, it would only take a few minutes to get 1000 wood. A key part of Rust's gameplay is the time spent gathering resources so you can build your base, or whatever. I found that the less time it took to gather resources, the more bored I became since I was achieving everything quicker and it took little effort. It's important to balance out the yields from trees and stone etc., so that it's enough of a grind that it takes time to gather resources, but no so much of a grind that you get bored. 

This is going to be the difficult one to get a good balance, while I agree you don't want to get stuff too quickly I feel it needs to be balanced with good respawn rates. I feel this figure will have to be adjusted as time goes on and see what people feedback.

42 minutes ago, Captain_Marbles said:

One thing that I would maybe like to see is less reliance on a dynmap. It's fun to not immediately know where you are in relation to others, or where the places with all the loot are in relation to you. It makes it harder for players to meet up (unless they all spawn in the same place), but with a little exploration alone and coordination they can find each other. One problem I found on a previous server was that the dynmap had a map showing where the high concentrations of death were, which pointed out where people's bases were. This isn't great as (from personal experience) large groups are pretty apt at dying all the time all over the base, and making a huge target for anyone looking at the dynmap. Rust actually has an in-game map that you can craft, though I'm not sure how detailed it is.

I guess I'm just looking for a grittier experience, with less hand-holding. I want to have to think twice before I go exploring, with the possibility of getting lost.

With the latest updates the map you can craft has everything drawn out with your location on it. This probably means having an online map won't make much difference.

On 24/11/2016 at 21:41, PickledAxe said:

-Without mandatory RP stuff

Rules on killing, raiding and destroying can spark heated debates, so imho it would be wise to be very clear on this.

I agree with this massively. While I hate the whole KOS in any survival multiplayer game I do not wish to force people to have to RP before they decide on their next action. I'd rather encourage people not to be a dick all the time and consider the consequences. This is one of the reasons I wish to have a kill feed on the server. This could be balanced with the less likelihood of being able to get guns/ammo/certain resources however this seems to be something the Rust developers are doing at the moment on the updates.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It seems the way people would like the server setting up is very similar to my initial thinking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, danjono said:

With the latest updates the map you can craft has everything drawn out with your location on it. This probably means having an online map won't make much difference

I popped onto a vanilla server and crafted a map, here it is at the maximum you can zoom out.

Spoiler

uy8edcM.jpg

The grey lines are roads, and the thing at the top is the airport. The map doesn't show anything apart from terrain, and a top down view of landmarks. It doesn't show player-made structures, and as far as I am aware you can't see other players either. You can draw on it too, so you can leave a line marking your way home.

Spoiler

uRVkRuN.png?1

This is a dynmap image for reference. It has a much larger view of the entire map, as well as a much more detailed topographical view. You can easily see the different icons for landmarks, as well as the coloured spot in the north-east of the map indicating someone has died there recently. You can also see friends on the dynmap if you sign in with Steam. I'd argue that there is a huge difference in the two maps.

I would much rather rely on the in-game map than the dynmap, as it definitely would make it harder to play as a group. It's also a lot harder to find players using the in-game map, which would reduce raiding if you're offline. If anyone has any opinions on this I'd be interested to hear them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, danjono said:

Thanks for the feedback so far. The general feeling so far is Slower decay/harder to raid offline players. Could having it harder to raid offline players be exploited in some way? Could that make it easier to tell if someone is offline based on how much damage you are doing to a base? Could that then entice people to raid it more as they know someone is less likely to come back?

Indeed. But if you were to make it 5 times harder to break down a door or wall, people would likely look elsewhere instead of spending a shit ton of explosives. Although -80% damage v offliners may be a bit too steep, you get what I mean.

12 hours ago, Captain_Marbles said:

I would much rather rely on the in-game map than the dynmap, as it definitely would make it harder to play as a group. It's also a lot harder to find players using the in-game map, which would reduce raiding if you're offline. If anyone has any opinions on this I'd be interested to hear them.

Is it possible to shield of a server from dynmap sites (and the seed for all users)? If so, I do echo Marbles' opinion on this.

The ingame paper map has a trade off too, as it takes up one inventory slot. I like having to choose between finding back my base easily and bringing home more resources.

• Like 1

I have a lot to say about this, hence I will topic-wise sort out my opinions into different spoilers, please read through all of them, thank you.

EVERYTHING:

Spoiler

KOS and Combat:

Spoiler

KOS and combat: I would advise not shooting on sight, although I feel most people here would not do that and those that would are the definition of the common Rust player.

Now to consider the good and bad of such a situation.

You can't "ID check" someone on a vanilla server since you're basically taking a shot at them.

The voice transmission also has a very limited range since it's the same as it would be in DayZ or real life.

And so you're torn between wanting to fire at the person and not since you don't know who they are.

I also would prefer a higher level of difficulty, there's just something about the tension of seeing someone who's identity you're not sure about and always being afraid and on your toes, it adds a sense of realism to the game.

Combat in general is a very touchy subject, since there's a lot of people on here that have very differing playstyles, some like to be very passive and find safety in numbers, while others enjoy going on the offense and solo. This is something that requires a lot of discussion from a lot of different people in order to come to an acceptable conclusion, but if you want to play it safe, rules regarding not killing on sight, in my opinion are a good idea.

Resource gathering count:

Spoiler

Resource gathering count: I completely agree with everyone who has said the resource gathering number should be on it's default or anything close to it. Getting a ton of resources in such a short amount of time is boring and drastically reduces the amount of time you'd spend playing the actual game and working from the ground up. 

Similiarly, getting nearly no resources is also a pain, but I feel that Rust's vanilla resource gathering value is a really good balance, whether you're going solo or in a group.

Item stacksizes:

Spoiler

Item stacksizes: This is something that needs to be addressed, because it shouldn't be humanely possible even in a game to whip out 50000 logs from your pocket. The default stacksizes are fine, as they really make you think hard about resource management and inventory management as a whole, it's a survival game, not a portable base building one.

I'd like for the stazksizes to be completely vanilla or just a tiny bit higher.

Crafting times:

Spoiler

Crafting times:  Since the very first time I played Rust was on a heavily modded server, I got too accustomed to the nearly instantaneous crafting times. It still haunts me to this day, but I also think that having the timer for crafting items not be something so little is a good choice. As vanilla as the server can be, I'd say do it. Maybe have the timer be 3/4ths of the actual crafting times, or 1/2 maximum.

Map:

Spoiler

Map: Now, onto this, as Marbles has said the in-game map looks pretty darn cool and gives as little info as possible in regards to pinpointing where someone's base is or where they are. The more vanilla the experience, the better. I personally would want the Rust:IO map removed although I know that every server has one created for it, even if it's not live. I just want the in-game map honestly.

Animals:

Spoiler

Animals: I remember the days where we'd have distance shooting competitions to see who could rock the leaderboard on the highest distance between the predator and the prey. Those days were fun, but I don't want that here. It's fun to have but definitely not a necessity

In relation to the whole animals topic, having them be a little bit more dense is cool, what would be really awesome was if you could increase their spawning rates in certain areas, such as lush green fields have more horses and mountains have more bears and maybe deer, that'd be sweet. But yes, higher spawn rates for animals would be nice.

In my time of administrating The Rusty Hatter, I couldn't find a plugin to do what I wanted, which was keep animals from spawning very close to eachother, maybe there's a plugin for it now.

Bases:

Spoiler

Bases: I completely and absolutely agree on the idea that bases should be harder to raid when someone is offline, simply because I hate waking up to having nothing at all, or worse, not waking up at all. This will really make it so that people can get a chance to play for longer, and not have arguments much more often. It gives you a longer fighting chance. 

XP and Ownership:

Spoiler

XP and Ownership: I really like this thing Rust has going for it (or had when I last played), it was really cool how you could only make certain things at certain levels, but I felt there was a bit too much of a grind to get XP sometimes, such as Level 7 just for a Hunting bow, or level 10 or 12 just for an Eoka pistol, like really?

If level requirements for certain items could be reduced, that would be great, since blueprints were removed, it kind of turns it into a grind to gather XP. However the ownership thing is really great, since you can leave items around and get XP for them if someone ends up using them, be it a friend or a random. (Looking on the Rust wiki it says that this mechanic is now removed from the game, oooookaaayy then.)

Decay:

Spoiler

Decay: Decay decay decay, the one thing that forces you to come online every single day otherwise all your possessions would be subject to becoming coal deep underneath the surface. This being extremely low or completely gone would be ideal, more so the former since it'd give you a reason to keep playing from time to time if you wanted to. But if it gets too hard then having it completely removed is a good solution.

Construction and destruction:

Spoiler

Construction and destruction: It personally became a massive pain when you misplaced a stone wall that left a hole for someone to get through, but you don't really have anyone to blame except yourself for that blunder. We had that command on the first Rust server we played on as a massive group where you could right click after typing a command to remove a door you placed, but it was bugged and didn't work half the time, or at all. 

I'm honestly unsure with this one, it's good to have, but it'd mean that bases would be pitch perfect, made to their owner's specifications, and not with little loopholes that one could exploit when say, they wanted to raid it. 

It's also not good to have because of well, what I just said above, it adds to the randomness and really makes you think hard about what you want and where you want it. Think hard because there's always gonna be someone to build a siege tower out of straw for infiltrating your hard-earned base.

InfoPanel:

Spoiler

InfoPanel: I personally really think this is an amazing utility for general info, but at the same time I think it detracts a lot from the otherwise vanilla experience of the server. Where you'd have to keep your eyes on the skies or your ears ready to locate and hear an airdrop, or the same for if a helicopter was out and about. I personally think this shouldn't be on the server, while it is good for general information, I feel that it takes away a large chunk of the vanilla game.

Testing:

Spoiler

Testing: Trying out what we have set in place already, beta testing is a good plan. Gives people an actual shot at what changes are currently present and lets them experience these changes to further develop their opinions on whether they should be adjusted or not. As PickledAxe said, a map to test is a great idea, and I completely agree with it. Testing always gives you good things and constructive criticism.

Edited by Zeemo
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Zeemo said:

I have a lot to say about this, hence I will topic-wise sort out my opinions into different spoilers, please read through all of them, thank you.

EVERYTHING:

Reveal hidden contents

KOS and Combat:

Hide contents

KOS and combat: I would advise not shooting on sight, although I feel most people here would not do that and those that would are the definition of the common Rust player.

You can't "ID check" someone on a vanilla server since you're basically taking a shot at them.

The voice transmission also has a very limited range since it's the same as it would be in DayZ or real life.

And so you're torn between wanting to fire at the person and not since you don't know who they are.

I also would prefer a higher level of difficulty, there's just something about the tension of seeing someone who's identity you're not sure about and always being afraid and on your toes, it adds a sense of realism to the game.

Combat in general is a very touchy subject, since there's a lot of people on here that have very differing playstyles, some like to be very passive and find safety in numbers, while others enjoy going on the offense and solo. This is something that requires a lot of discussion from a lot of different people in order to come to an acceptable conclusion, but if you want to play it safe, rules regarding not killing on sight, in my opinion are a good idea.

Resource gathering count:

Hide contents

Resource gathering count: I completely agree with everyone who has said the resource gathering number should be on it's default or anything close to it. Getting a ton of resources in such a short amount of time is boring and drastically reduces the amount of time you'd spend playing the actual game and working from the ground up. 

Similiarly, getting nearly no resources is also a pain, but I feel that Rust's vanilla resource gathering value is a really good balance, whether you're going solo or in a group.

Item stacksizes:

Reveal hidden contents

Item stacksizes: This is something that needs to be addressed, because it shouldn't be humanely possible even in a game to whip out 50000 logs from your pocket. The default stacksizes are fine, as they really make you think hard about resource management and inventory management as a whole, it's a survival game, not a portable base building one.

I'd like for the stazksizes to be completely vanilla or just a tiny bit higher.

Crafting times:

Hide contents

Crafting times:  Since the very first time I played Rust was on a heavily modded server, I got too accustomed to the nearly instantaneous crafting times. It still haunts me to this day, but I also think that having the timer for crafting items not be something so little is a good choice. As vanilla as the server can be, I'd say do it. Maybe have the timer be 3/4ths of the actual crafting times, or 1/2 maximum.

Map:

Reveal hidden contents

Map: Now, onto this, as Marbles has said the in-game map looks pretty darn cool and gives as little info as possible in regards to pinpointing where someone's base is or where they are. The more vanilla the experience, the better. I personally would want the Rust:IO map removed although I know that every server has one created for it, even if it's not live. I just want the in-game map honestly.

Animals:

Hide contents

Animals: I remember the days where we'd have distance shooting competitions to see who could rock the leaderboard on the highest distance between the predator and the prey. Those days were fun, but I don't want that here. It's fun to have but definitely not a necessity

In relation to the whole animals topic, having them be a little bit more dense is cool, what would be really awesome was if you could increase their spawning rates in certain areas, such as lush green fields have more horses and mountains have more bears and maybe deer, that'd be sweet. But yes, higher spawn rates for animals would be nice.

In my time of administrating The Rusty Hatter, I couldn't find a plugin to do what I wanted, which was keep animals from spawning very close to eachother, maybe there's a plugin for it now

Bases:

Reveal hidden contents

Bases: I completely and absolutely agree on the idea that bases should be harder to raid when someone is offline, simply because I hate waking up to having nothing at all, or worse, not waking up at all. This will really make it so that people can get a chance to play for longer, and not have arguments much more often. It gives you a longer fighting chance. 

XP and Ownership:

Hide contents

XP and Ownership: I really like this thing Rust has going for it (or had when I last played), it was really cool how you could only make certain things at certain levels, but I felt there was a bit too much of a grind to get XP sometimes, such as Level 7 just for a Hunting bow, or level 10 or 12 just for an Eoka pistol, like really?

If level requirements for certain items could be reduced, that would be great, since blueprints were removed, it kind of turns it into a grind to gather XP. However the ownership thing is really great, since you can leave items around and get XP for them if someone ends up using them, be it a friend or a random. (Looking on the Rust wiki it says that this mechanic is now removed from the game, oooookaaayy then.)

Decay:

Hide contents

Decay: Decay decay decay, the one thing that forces you to come online every single day otherwise all your possessions would be subject to becoming coal deep underneath the surface. This being extremely low or completely gone would be ideal, more so the former since it'd give you a reason to keep playing from time to time if you wanted to. But if it gets too hard then having it completely removed is a good solution.

Construction and destruction:

Hide contents

Construction and destruction: It personally became a massive pain when you misplaced a stone wall that left a hole for someone to get through, but you don't really have anyone to blame except yourself for that blunder. We had that command on the first Rust server we played on as a massive group where you could right click after typing a command to remove a door you placed, but it was bugged and didn't work half the time, or at all. 

I'm honestly unsure with this one, it's good to have, but it'd mean that bases would be pitch perfect, made to their owner's specifications, and not with little loopholes that one could exploit when say, they wanted to raid it. 

It's also not good to have because of well, what I just said above, it adds to the randomness and really makes you think hard about what you want and where you want it. Think hard because there's always gonna be someone to build a siege tower out of straw for infiltrating your hard-earned base.

InfoPanel:

Hide contents

InfoPanel: I personally really think this is an amazing utility for general info, but at the same time I think it detracts a lot from the otherwise vanilla experience of the server. Where you'd have to keep your eyes on the skies or your ears ready to locate and hear an airdrop, or the same for if a helicopter was out and about. I personally think this shouldn't be on the server, while it is good for general information, I feel that it takes away a large chunk of the vanilla game.

Testing:

Hide contents

Testing: Trying out what we have set in place already, beta testing is a good plan. Gives people an actual shot at what changes are currently present and lets them experience these changes to further develop their opinions on whether they should be adjusted or not. As PickledAxe said, a map to test is a great idea, and I completely agree with it. Testing always gives you good things and constructive criticism.

Really good feedback! I'm going to have a mess around with the server today with a lot of the suggesstions so lets see what happens.

6 hours ago, PickledAxe said:

Is it possible to shield of a server from dynmap sites (and the seed for all users)? If so, I do echo Marbles' opinion on this.

The ingame paper map has a trade off too, as it takes up one inventory slot. I like having to choose between finding back my base easily and bringing home more resources.

Unfortunately I don't think there is away to avoid it. Even without the Rust: IO plugin (the one that provides the live dynmap) installed, players can generate a map using external tools, since the world seed and map size are available to anyone who presses F1 in-game. I don't think there's a way to stop people viewing the seed. With the map plugin, you can turn off certain aspects that appear on the map within the plugin config, but generating one independently will still show these (with the exception of people's locations).

"displayMonuments": true,
  "hideSpecificMonuments": [],
  "displayBuildings": false,
  "displayMortality": true,
  "enableLocationSharing": true,
  "broadcastSpawns": true,
  "broadcastDeaths": true,
  "broadcastChat": true,

We could still stop people viewing their location on a live dynmap, though once they craft an in-game map it would be easy to figure out where you are on a generated dynmap, since you can generate a static dynmap even if the server doesn't have the plugin. I gues if we wanted people to rely on the in-game map, we could disable location sharing and mortality in the plugin config (or get rid of the map plugin all together), which meant if people wanted to use a dynmap they'd have to make one themselves.

Either way, people are going to be able to get a dynmap showing where everything is one way or another. All we can do is stop players from seeing where their friends are.

22 hours ago, Captain_Marbles said:

Unfortunately I don't think there is away to avoid it. Even without the Rust: IO plugin (the one that provides the live dynmap) installed, players can generate a map using external tools, since the world seed and map size are available to anyone who presses F1 in-game. I don't think there's a way to stop people viewing the seed. With the map plugin, you can turn off certain aspects that appear on the map within the plugin config, but generating one independently will still show these (with the exception of people's locations).

The lesser a dynmap tells the better, if you ask me.

On 26-11-2016 at 12:47, Zeemo said:

Do you advise "not shooting on sight" as a rule or a play style?

The second part of your point seems to indicate the latter, but just to make sure.

I would be against a rule that bans KOS, as I think it is a vital part of the survival experience, especially once you're geared up and fed enough not to worry to much about the wildlife anymore. In my opinion players should make their own judgement whether they want to be friendly and hopefully receive help in time of need, or be a raiding public enemy.

With the Steam Workshop full of clothes, players could choose (but shouldn't be forced to) to express their identity, allegiance and intentions through their outfits (custom clothes do load server wide, right?)

Edited by PickledAxe
lay out

few servers i have played on have "sectioned" off areas of maps according to play style, some with safe zones, where people can build, trade and things, but outside that area its a free for all, where allegiances can be built and die. Problem not shoot on sight rule is it can be too ambiguous, and with the potential for only two people to witness an act, his word against the other isn't going to be easily decided who was in the wrong (yes i know someone died but the other person may have acted out of self-defence or is a little too trigger happy) but with zones that are considered safe, whereas no combat is permitted unless expressed by both parties is an idea. I don't know how you would mark it out, with a map or something but its a possibility to cater to peoples wants and needs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheLadyGamer said:

few servers i have played on have "sectioned" off areas of maps according to play style, some with safe zones, where people can build, trade and things, but outside that area its a free for all, where allegiances can be built and die. Problem not shoot on sight rule is it can be too ambiguous, and with the potential for only two people to witness an act, his word against the other isn't going to be easily decided who was in the wrong (yes i know someone died but the other person may have acted out of self-defence or is a little too trigger happy) but with zones that are considered safe, whereas no combat is permitted unless expressed by both parties is an idea. I don't know how you would mark it out, with a map or something but its a possibility to cater to peoples wants and needs.

With a zone plugin you can create these zones to allow this where you have a PvE environment where players cannot hurt you. I personally would not like this as people would prefer to just stick to these areas I feel. KOS is something we will play around with ideas and generally just see how things go. As much as I hate the KOS mentality I hate it the most with spawn camping. This will probably be an area I'd like to address but time will only tell how things go when we go live with the server.

All in all, when it comes to killing/raiding I still want it to be a free-for-all. I don't however want people just being dick for the sake of it, especially just spawn camping so we'll work around any problems that come up if they come up.

• Like 3

Honestly, the only thing I absolutely hate about playing rust a lot, is that I tend to play solo, and every time I log back on, it's almost guranteed that my entire base will have been ripped apart, and I'll have to restart. I'd like to have it where that's less likely to happen, especially when your house is only really a 3x3 1 story wooden shack.