Hey there, it's me again, the only guy who suggests the same thing around this time every year, modded Minecraft. Somehow I haven't gotten tired of this yet.

So what's this post about then? I personally still believe that modded Minecraft holds experiences still fresh to me, and many others. Hence I'm here yet again making this post in hopes of reviving the possibility of this community attaining a modded Minecraft server.

If you want to play modded Minecraft so much, can't you just play it yourself?

This holds true, however what initially lured me into this community was the appeal of multiplayer, and to be able to play multiplayer modded Minecraft amongst fellow Hatters is an experience that in my opinion, was too short-lived, and I will give as much as I can to enjoy it once again.

But why modded Minecraft, and not just vanilla Minecraft?

A vanilla server already exists, and the majority of Hatters, at least those that I know, are too tired of playing vanilla again, as it gets too boring too quickly. 

Modded Minecraft holds a virtually infinite list of possibilities and experiences that are so different from vanilla, it's as if you're playing a whole new game. There's something for every kind of Minecrafter to do, from magic, to exploration, to farming, to technology and to adventure. Oh and also building.

So why hasn't there been a modded Minecraft server yet?

The setup and maintenance of a modded server for Minecraft as compared to other games is much more tedious and demanding, in terms of time, effort and money. Hence there is a very low chance of it ever happening, if at all.

If it's too much to handle, then why are you still suggesting such an idea?

While there may be a lot of negatives, there are ways to circumvent at least some of them, the main reason of this post is to suggest ideas to make that maintenance and cost a bit less harmful.

And so I'm actually suggesting some ideas this time, as opposed to just asking for a modded server every year.

Ideas for player access

Spoiler

Time-based whitelist

This type of whitelist system works on the principle of only allowing people who have been a member of the community for a set period of time, such as been a community member since launch, or since 2017, and so on. This is similiar to Discord's system where you may only be allowed to access certain channels or allowed to speak after having been a member of a particular server for a set amount of time.

Limited access whitelist

This form of whitelist allows only certain names to be permitted access to a server, such as only staff or only certain roles. This may be useful if a server ever gets established, allowing a small list of trusted people or only active members to be allowed to try out the server, in it's alpha or beta stages of testing.

Little Hat system

The only tried and somewhat successfully tested system, the Little Hat system involves tagging every new member of the server to be given a Little Hat tag, thus only permitting Hatters or roles higher than that to be allowed access into the server. Promotion from a Little Hat to a Hatter may either be in the form of votes from community or staff members, or a quest-like system where the Little Hats must complete quests that may require going to a certain location, acquiring a certain set of items or completing a set number of quests and hence being promoted. Such a system prevents people who simply join the community for the appeal of a modded server by minimal effort and restricts access to those who are really looking for a community to play Minecraft with and thus enjoying the benefit of a modded server alongside vanilla Minecraft.

Paid access

Kind of on the fence about this one, one thing that makes this community what it is is the removal of perks, except for vanity (coloured names, trails etc), this allows everyone to be on the same level and does not give any more leverage to those who have donated or paid for something ingame. So the suggestion of something such as this is simply out of the question, and I'm only including it as it is still an idea that exists. It's as simple as it seems, pay to access a modded server, and hence enjoy the premiums of a modded experience you always wanted.

Ideas for the server gameplay

Spoiler

Using modpacks that already exist

The usage of tried-and-tested modpacks allows for a more bug-free and less hassle experience, as these modpacks have already been tested and played by lots around the world, and are actively updated by dev teams through bug-report systems. This means there's already a set list of issues to watch out for and therefore doesn't require a set of people to always be around in case something goes very wrong.

Limiting map size more strictly

If the amount of players is going to be limited, then limiting the map size further is very much possible. This demands less server resources, as less of a world will be loaded at any point in time, therefore reducing running costs and allowing for better performance.

Banning of certain items

This makes some people sad, but it's needed to prevent a large-scale issue taking place that can cause corrupted chunks, or even worse, corrupted worlds. (Plastic Tank anyone, Redwood forests, or even freezing over the Nether?)

Strict mining-only dimensions

This is a very successful idea, and forces players to only be able to run their massive world-hole-creating quarries in certain dimensions, which allows the Overworld to stay relatively fresh and prevents the creation of mining dimensions by using those that exist solely for that purpose. (Deep Dark, Aroma1997's Mining Dimension mod)

Plots of land

Part of modded Minecraft's appeal is the vast ideas and possibilities to create massive skyscrapes or tiny cottages that may possibly invade the space of your neighbour or them invading yours. Plots of land make it so that there isn't any chance of that happening, and allowing the creation of little communities or towns with groups of people that can't exceed a certain plot number or size. Plots can be limited to a size of a few chunks, in any pattern needed.

In conjunction with the above, mod-type restricted plots

As the title says, plots can be restricted as per one mod-type only, such as magic or technology. This prevents one plot from being overloaded with 40 different mods and spreads out the mod count over several plots or chunks, improving server performance and not having a lot of entities all in one spot.

Ideas for the server outside of gameplay

Spoiler

A role dedicated to people who keep eyes on the server for when staff may not be around

There isn't much need for this, you may think, but do remember that all staff are simply volunteers, and most certainly are very busy people who a lot of the time, aren't around 24/7 to tend to the needs of us the community. Hence the idea of a new role, which will be given to a few trusted people who have a little more time to spend on the server and can keep tabs on what goes on and report it to staff. This role may very well already exist, and can potentially be added into the Coordinator role, as they are people who act as a sort of medium between the staff and the community to bring us closer to the staff's viewpoints and them to our needs and ideas.

An alpha or beta server to test things out should this go live

The title is pretty self explanatory, a testing server to try out plugins to see how well they mesh together and work with the server and how mods play along with eachother is a good place to start. This gets any further bug-smashing that may need to be done out of the way, and gives a good idea on what parameters may need changing in order to provide a better experience.

Using a dedicated host outside of the current

A modded server is pretty taxing on computing resources, hence having it on it's own machine or it's own host outside of the current can prove to be a good investment. This of course, can potentially be much more expensive than sticking with the current hosting providers but there are purpose-built hosts that exist to cater specifically to modded Minecraft needs. Plus they often times have sales going on, so that's a bonus.

So there you have it, a long and exhaustive list of all the ideas I could think of. These are most definitely not all possible ideas or suggestions. I would love to hear, and encourage those who read this to please drop your opinion, no matter what it may be. I personally want to see what the community thinks about this, and whether it's an idea to be welcomed or not. (Considering that it's been rejected since community launch till now, probably not too welcomed but oh well)

Thank you so very much for reading, I look forward to your replies.

Edited by Zeemo
  • Like 2

This has actually been on my mind lately. I'd even be good with going back the last version of Hatpack

My main input is, I want anyone that is assigned to take care of things with the minecraft server to be called "Server Slaves"

• Like 1